Super Jet 61x Engine idles, but no power?

The other Alex

(Jetdude)
Trying to help out a friend with his square-nose. The engine starts up and runs, it idles fine, but as soon as you give it gas it acts like it is hitting a rev limiter or is in "limp-mode." The engine is stock except for an aftermarket F/A. Carb setting are L: 2.5 turns out, H: 1.75 turns out. Engine was running fine a week ago. Fuel lines are all correct, tank is venting fine, spark plugs are good, the engine is getting spark, and compression is good. The only thing I can't verify is the fuel delivery. It sounds like a carb problem, but I don't know where to start. I am sure the carb needs to be rebuilt as it is old and has not been rebuilt recently. I would like to try and swap out the carb with one off a running ski and see what happens, but none of the shops are open around here on the holiday.

I'll upload a video of what the engine is doing. Any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks

-al

Last edited by a moderator:
take the carb apart. there is a little filter on the pump side . once you remove the carb you will expose this little 1/4" round filter. remove it and you will likely see what looks like hair in it. clean it with contact cleaner and a sharp poker. if that doesnt work, it may be a crank seal, this just happened to me :doh:

The other Alex

(Jetdude)
Thanks, good advice on all accounts. I am going to have him bring the ski by and we will pull the carb off, check/clean the internal filter, check the jets to make sure they are not clogged, check the reeds while the carb is free, and if that all fails, we will pull the e-box off to see if she's wet. Will report back...

Cheers

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
Sounds like the overheat sensor is bad and kicking on to soon or cdi is bad or as simple as water in the elec box and shorting out the pink wire for the limiter to kick on.
Cut or disconnect the pink wire for the head sensor at the cdi or where the black and pink come out of box to the head sensor.

Top Bottom