61x flywheel 62t cases?

Hey, i've got a question for you ski junkies. Im thinking about buying a jet tech lightweight flywheel off 61x cases. Im pretty sure that a 61x flywheel cant just be thrown onto a 62t case with the 62t stator. So, the guy said hed give me the 61x stator with it for free. Question is what do i need to do besides that. Can I use the stock electrics from the 62t and just throw the 61x stator into my ski or is there more to it then that??? Thanks guys. Also anyone know if this flywheel is any good?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
You could fix that pretty easily.

The x flywheel will fit in those cases just fine....but you need a T stator, as others have mentioned.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I'm searching for an answer to this and wondered if this thread was accurate: Do people simply swap CDI's around from 61X to 62T and vise-versa? I know there is a wire gender change required but does this work and run properly?

I am asking because I just ordered an Advent ignition and they had to reprogram it to account for the fact that I am running a 61X stator and flywheel. According to Greg there, the 61X has a different stator timing (7° more advance) and must be accounted for in the CDI.

Why would Yamaha change the gender of that wire if it wasn't important to keep the parts from each version together?

#ZERO

Beach Bum
6M6 CDI (650 models) 6500-6600 rpm limiter - works on 61x system.

61X CDI (701 94/95) 7050-7150 rpm limiter - works on 650s but not 62T systems.

62T CDI (701 96+) 7050-7150 rpm limiter - works only on 62T systems.

The 62T stator has a larger charge coil that supplies the CDI with more AC voltage and I wouldn't recommend downgrading the electronics.

If you have an MSD enhancer they are backwards compatible because of the extra power supply wire and adapter lead for the charge coil connection.

If you have an MSD enhancer they are backwards compatible because of the extra power supply wire and adapter lead for the charge coil connection.

How would the MSD account for the different timing between the two?

What you said about keeping components together makes sense but I keep reading about people swapping CDI's around:
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/56462&highlight="62t+cdi"
It may work but with the wrong timing I figure. No? And what about that higher voltage going into a CDI not designed for it?

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The MSD enhancer has a modified timing curve that triggers off the pulser coil which happens to be the same for the 61X and 62T stators.

There's more than a 100 volts difference between the two different charge coils and your stock CDI probably wouldn't last very long.

The MSD enhancer has a modified timing curve that triggers off the pulser coil which happens to be the same for the 61X and 62T stators.

There's more than a 100 volts difference between the two different charge coils and your stock CDI probably wouldn't last very long.

Thanks for explaining how the MSD is compatible, #.0. I didn't think you should be swapping stock CDI's but apparently some guys do. :nono:

Top Bottom