650 Coffmans Pipe on a 61X.

I am swapping my old 650 motor for a new 61X 701 motor. I have the 650 coffman's pipe. Do i just take a dremel to the manifold and match the exhaust inlets on the manifold to the outlets on the motor? OR is there a better way of doing it?

JETACE

"I know things"
take it to a scrap metal yard and collect the money - use it to buy a Factory B pipe, you'll be happier with it.

love the squarenose! I learned to barrel roll on one, great ski

I am in the process of doing the same thing, building a 61x and going to use my coffman's pipe. Don't have the fundage right now to spend on anything else. I did see one of the coffman pipes go for somewhere around $250 on ebay recently. That suprised me. I think I paid about $100 for mine. I'll have to make due with what I have for now.

gorilla

There's Always A Light At The End Of The Tunnel !!
take a 61x exhaust maniold gasket and put the bolt's in the holes with the gasket on it.
than take a magic marker and mark the high area's on the inside of the gasket.
you will need to grind that barea out to match the gasket and cylinder.
done deal !!!

good luck

gorilla

Last edited:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
ive been running that pipe on a 61x for a while, took a dremel to the manifold marked by a 701 gasket.

easy as pie.

and dont discount the little pipe, they work surprisingly well, I wish they were still $100 pipes!

B pipes for sure arent $400 better.

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
I was looking at a Bpipe picture and comparing with the chamber of my Coffman and they look very similar.
Im not saying they are identical but for the price difference...

Swooperjet

Bring the brap!!
take a 61x exhaust maniold gasket and put the bolt's in the holes with the gasket on it.
than take a magic marker and mark the high area's on the inside of the gasket.
you will need to grind that barea out to match the gasket and cylinder.
done deal !!!

good luck

gorilla
What he said.
That's exactly how I did mine and it came out great. I used a drill with a grinding bit to take off most of the meat, then a Dremel to smooth and finish it out.
You don't want to just grind down the lip of the opening though...you'll want to kind of float it in a ways so it's a smooth transition.

That is what i ended up doing. My buddy had an aggresive sanding bit for his dremel and it actually cut through like a hot knife in butter. When matching i floated the bit in about an inch and a half trying to smooth out the transition between the edge and the rest of the inner part of the pipe. Was actually about a 20 min job, just measuring making sure i got most the meat off in the areas it needed to be.

gorilla

There's Always A Light At The End Of The Tunnel !!
if you measure the top where the head pipe mounts to the exhaust manifold you will see a bigger opening on the factory pipe exhaust manifold than the coffmans exhaust manifold.

good luck

gorilla

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I pulled my coffman sizzler and installed a B pipe in its place this weekend.

the difference was, well, VERY slight.

I havent got it dialed in yet to even run as GOOD as the coffman pipe, im sure it will be better once I get it fine tuned..

but just to throw it out there...

the sizzler is MUCH easier to install and remove, and it makes just about as good of power.

I wish I had bought a few of them when they were cheaper.

Thanks for the comparison Mouth. I guess I can feel good about the $100-$125 I spent on my sizzler 5 years ago...

Still working on getting my 61x/61x setup all dialed in too. I just haven't had much time to spend on the water.

Top Bottom