300/440/550 650 flywheel

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
Im looking for a picture of a Kawi 650 flywheel that as been lightened. I have a spare one laying around and Im gonna send it to the machine shop if I can figure out some info on how to do it while keeping it reliable.

professor961

Selling all X2 and 650 parts - message me!
I agree with sospikey. The group K machining is the way to go.
If you insist on having someone attempt a lightening job, get someone who has a group K flywheel and measure with micrometers to get accurate specs. I would not go from a photo. But then, of course, copying group K's work might not be too cool an idea legally, either.
I'd go with group K. Save yourself the hassle and get it done right.

Prof

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
I dont see why a good machine shop would not be able to do the job. Many dirt bike riders got theres done at a local shop.I just thought that a picture of a stock flywheel that had been liughtened would help them a bit since they have never done one like this.

I am going to drop mine off next week so I will post my own pics for futur reference.

Thanks anyway.

question about lightning the flywheel.

Do you take the magnets off and then reattach them, assuming you lighten from the inside out, or how is it done? Do you just shave off the outer bit a few mils or what?

professor961

I would not chance it. Put a hundred bucks aside and get it done right by the people who know how to do it. You will be sorry by saving a few dollars and having the flywheel grenade on you, and now you have a ruined stator, bendix, flywheel, crankcase, and maybe even more.

Strong advise to have it done right, or not at all. Prof

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
Are you saying that I should not let a machine shop do this. Like I said they have done some for Mx before, so I figure they know what they are doing.

professor961

I am saying do what you want. If you have a local shop do it, I would very strongly suggest getting a flywheel that has been cut by Group K and putting a micrometer to it, so you know exactly what metal came off.
You are taking your engine in your own hands and it's not worth the trouble. Just drum up a hundred bucks and send the flywheel to Harry. That way you'll get it done right.

Prof

Top Bottom