650 ignition in a 750?

Kawikazi

Don't follow my line.
Just picked a 750 and noticed someone had fit a 650 ignition in it. Why would someone do this?? Is there good reason or should I change it back to a 750 ignition. Thanks

the 650 flywheel is lighter than the 750 flywheel but you have to run the 650 electronics with it. If it runs id leave it alone. if it fails you could go to a lightened 750 flywheel and switch to a 750 stator and msd or 98-03 cdi.

Kawikazi

Don't follow my line.
Its all 650 from flywheel to ebox. I thought I had heard that the flywheel was lighter but I'm pretty sure there is no real performance increase. The ski stop running and after pulling stator cover off we found some small metal frag. I just figured if I have to pull the engine and flywheel just to see 650 stator I might as well convert it back 750. Have parts.

bored&stroked

Urban redneck
I thought I had heard that the flywheel was lighter but I'm pretty sure there is no real performance increase.

Do you also believe aftermarket light weight flywheels have no performance increase? The 650 flywheel is lighter then at least a groupK lightened 750 flywheel. I did the conersion when I put a small pin into my 650sx.

Kawikazi

Don't follow my line.
Do you also believe aftermarket light weight flywheels have no performance increase? The 650 flywheel is lighter then at least a groupK lightened 750 flywheel. I did the conersion when I put a small pin into my 650sx.

Correct. Quicker revs but no horsepower increase.

G'day mate how was the timing with the 650 ignition I'm new to jet skis just bought this thing it's a 650 hull with 750 motor same deal has 650 electrics but I'm unsure if timing correct. There is marks on the motor and stator but being different motor and electrics it could still be wrong maybe. cheers

john zigler

Vendor Account
IMO not worth it....

650 flywheel is marginally lighter. Electrics are old, analog, with straight timing set at the stator plate.

750 electrics have a "timing curve" built into the CDI with a higher rev limit. With the correct CDI (example one from a later SXi Pro) you will have a more aggressive timing curve, higher rev limit, and will feel more power even with the marginally heavier flywheel.

I forget the exact numbers, but I have weighed both, the 650, and 750 flywheels. The 750 is just a few OZs heavier. And then, if you "lighten" the 750 flywheel you are that much more ahead.

If you are able, I would switch back to the 750 electrics.

Thanks for the reply john yep I totally agree with u it's not worth the drama for no gain I just wish when I bought the thing I knew what I was lookin at. Ah well we live and learn ay. Lol think I will get it all running and move it on and buy a newer superjet

Top Bottom