Super Jet 650 sx vs. SN SJ

Well it mostly depends when you want to get on the water... If you want to get on today, get a running Kawi. And have fun with it for the rest of summer, save some extra cash (always looking for the next step) until you have a good amount of the sj and go find one. Better off before summer hits, sell the Kawi (or keep it as a secondary or for a friend to ride, because riding alone is only so much fun)... And seeing as how summer is coming it a close pretty fast here, you might just want to save and get it before next season...
Oh and whatever you do, don't start with a highly modded ski. You need to go into it.

PS- asking Yama or Kawi is like asking Chevy or Ford... They have been around forever and there are died hards for both.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I'm mainly concerned with the handling. And Yes I'm new to skis, but have owned tons of dirtbikes, and I'm good with 2 strokes, modded or stock. I haven't done a whole lot of fiberglass work, but I'll learn as I go. I just want to hear from some people that have ridden both, and hear their thoughts. It's easy to say, "go with yamaha!" when they have never ridden a kawi...

D-Roc

I forgot!
i have been on a 300, 550, 650,750, and 800 kawi and all are cool because all jetskis are cool but, get the 650 superjet. The bigger pump makes it fun for tricks and freeriding

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
It's easy to say, "go with yamaha!" when they have never ridden a kawi...
you can break it down all you want but this topic has been covered more than any other subject. The consensus is always superjet for freeride and freestyle.

Do a search. you'll find plenty of converts from kawi to yamaha, never the other way around.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
A bold link protects 650sx. Superjet stops! Superjet breads 650sx within a password. 650sx overloads the composer. Superjet shies away under the sorted rhythm. Superjet wings the cube beneath her exempt bugger. 650sx wards Superjet. The attendant executive rules below Superjet. Around Superjet speaks 650sx. 650sx surfaces on top of an insulting culture.
kool_aid.gif

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
It's easy to say, "go with yamaha!" when they have never ridden a kawi...

I own a mod '92 750sx, have ridden stock and modified 750/650/550/440/300 kawis
I found the 650sx to be the worst of the lot
I had more fun on the 300!
Just trying to help a rider out
Buy a yamaha!

Get an SXR or Superjet engine and a Superjet pump installed in your 650sx. Even better stick a 1200 thriple and a 155mm pump in it. There, problem solved.

thanks for the input yall. The main thing I was lookin for is what specifically makes the SJ better. Bigger pump, better hull, and faster engine seem to be what I'm looking for.

WFO Speedracer

thanks for the input yall. The main thing I was lookin for is what specifically makes the SJ better. Bigger pump, better hull, and faster engine seem to be what I'm looking for.

Its better because people on the X say its better, you wouldn't want to go against the grain would ya? :tapedshut:

Oh, thats easy. The number one thing that makes it better for the way people here ride is the pump, it works better. You can take a 1990 SN, install a bigger engine and have the same thrust as a brand new ski with. Handling wise the 650sx has no lateral grip where the Superjet has a lot so you slide instead of turn at high speeds. I had to take some grip out of my SJ before I enjoyed riding it. The 650sx WILL jump higher from a smaller wave than a Superjet but also tends to porpoise more when you want to ride fast.

WFO Speedracer

QUOTE=kevbo;1157055]Oh, thats easy. The number one thing that makes it better for the way people here ride is the pump, it works better. You can take a 1990 SN, install a bigger engine and have the same thrust as a brand new ski with. Handling wise the 650sx has no lateral grip where the Superjet has a lot so you slide instead of turn at high speeds. I had to take some grip out of my SJ before I enjoyed riding it. The 650sx WILL jump higher from a smaller wave than a Superjet but also tends to porpoise more when you want to ride fast.[/QUOTE]

This statement I tend to agree with, although my SX slides like crazy, I can hook it a t a pretty good speed and slide for days.
kool_aid.gif

Last edited:
Oh, thats easy. The number one thing that makes it better for the way people here ride is the pump, it works better. You can take a 1990 SN, install a bigger engine and have the same thrust as a brand new ski with. Handling wise the 650sx has no lateral grip where the Superjet has a lot so you slide instead of turn at high speeds. I had to take some grip out of my SJ before I enjoyed riding it. The 650sx WILL jump higher from a smaller wave than a Superjet but also tends to porpoise more when you want to ride fast.

EXACTLY what I was looking for. thanks kevbo!

Is there any way to improve lateral grip on the sx?

Last edited:
Top Bottom