650/X-2 650sx dies in water

starts and runs normal on trailer but dies in water,pull out and revs up normal in air, comp is 110/105 at 9000ft,what could problem be?head gasket or reeds or what?

Your compession on the 650 is way to low. For a stock motor you should be running 150psi in each cylinder. 120 psi is about the lowest you can go on a engine before it just doesnt want to go anymore. I would suggest putting a new topend in the ski and that sould solve your problem. As far as the 91 650, does bogg out when you put it in the water or does it just die?

Wilke

X2 stole my life
He's at 9000ft, stock pressure will not be 150psi - thats a stock number for sealevel. I don't know the ratio, but %30 loss doesn't sound out of range for that altitude. You probably don't need a new top end (pressure difference between the cylinders is within range), but you probably do need to get a high compression head for it to run well at that altitude and find someone with experience tuning carbs for that altitude to help you out with the tune.

waterfreek

worst luck ever
My 91 just boggs out in the water. Put it in the water and and it have very low rpm, give it gas and it goes hardly anywhere, it moves and acks like it is being flooded. I have had the carb rebuilt and it has been adjusted but I could not get it to work. Any advise

650 sx bogging

Sounds like you might be running too rich. I have a 650 x2 that ran very strong at a lower altitude lake, but when I went to another lake just about 2000 feet higher it would bog bad in the water(less air to fuel ratio at higher altitude). I turned the low speed screw all the way in to bottom to lean the low speed mixture and it ran better but I will need more adjustment. To get more lean low speed adjustment I will have to reduce the idle or low speed jet by ten and then i can back my idle screw out one turn and have some adjustment room. Try adjusting your low speed mixture screw first to see how that will effect you motor. turning clockwise will lean the mixture, turning counterclockwise will richen it.

Top Bottom