650sx (im new to all this)

i just got a Kawasaki jet ski off of craigslist and am wondering if i can start it for a minuete out of water every couple days just till it goes in?

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
yes you can. you can run it a few minutes idling (no throttle) with out water, or a few seconds if your reving the motor with out water. just don't let it get extremely hot and fry. best bet is to put a hose adapter on the ski and run it off a garden hose which feeds water and cools the engine without needing to be in a lake

mike b

I only run off of a hose if i run more than 20 seconds. but i guess a few minutes is alot, it feels like a long time when they are not in the water lol.

650sxjesse, just do it right and plug it up to a garden hose if your going to run it more than a few seconds dry and your safe from any hassle

mike b

you can overheat your motor, melt your rings and the motor will weld itself together. Run it with water or in the lake if your going over 20 seconds just to be safe and doing things right the first time round

mike b

where are you located? if your close by me in cali I can help you get started and help you learn some things for maintenance and learn things about the ski itself. or if not im sure somebody else on the forum is near by you..

I had a 650sx that was a pain to start as well. just a tiny bit of gas in the carb should do it like stagesrt4 said. Also, look into getting a primer kit. They are cheap and it makes starting a breeze. Its the same concept as the little bubble primer on a lawn mower. Other than being hard to start, how is it? Do you have pics? I'm always excited to see new people get into the sport.

i love the jet ski it self even tho i haven't rode it but i will have it put in the water on Monday and leave it in there so when i want to ride. i wish i knew more people in Michigan who have stand ups i need to learn more about these things to.

Draggingto

No Clue
There are a lot of guys in michigan with stand ups. All depends on where you are and if you are able to travel to different lake's? Every tuesday night we ride at a different lake around the irish hills area (thats about a hour from you). we usually have between 15-30 guys on standups every ride. If you could make it out to one of them im sure you could learn a lot, most of the guys are very knowledgeable and have been at this sport for a long time.

Top Bottom