650sx pre-daytona clean up

550klunker

kickin it old school
started cleaning up my 650 last night. got the motor pulled and the flywheel cover off(gotta replace the bendix). pardon the hideous paint work. bought it like this. gonna spray bomb it after i get the motor work done.

Attachments

• Photo0188.jpg
    Photo0188.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Photo0190.jpg
    Photo0190.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo0191.jpg
    Photo0191.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 92
  • Photo0192.jpg
    Photo0192.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Photo0193.jpg
    Photo0193.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Photo0194.jpg
    Photo0194.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo0195.jpg
    Photo0195.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 110

550klunker

kickin it old school
well..after about an hour of wrestling with the flywheel and puller, it took one smack with a mallet to get it off. gotta say this wasnt the easiest flywheel removal i have done! once i got that off, pulled the bendix out and its trash like i thought. after that i took a bunch of carb and brake cleaner and proceeded to clean out the flywheel compartment. pic may look like its still dirty but thats as clean as it would come. it was solid black before! gross. anyway, i am gonna get the flywheel cleaned up tomorrow and start reassembly.

Attachments

• Photo0202.jpg
    Photo0202.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

550klunker

kickin it old school
hmm. dont really know much about the motor yet. well, not as good as i want. but its coming along. dont think i am going to do too much work to this. maybe pipe, head, prop, carb. that prolly all the moddin this will get till i get an sj. but for now it needs cleaning and paint. i want to take of the intake mani and clean it up to. just do a thorough cleaning. but i dunno if i wanna take the time yet

No but I owned it before he did and had it all cleaned up... Looks like he put it through its paces though

650sx002.jpg

100_0093.jpg

550klunker

kickin it old school
lol wow. what a small world! and yeah it looks super good there. i will hopefully have it looking that clean after i get done with it! i take it you are the last one that had it registered?

If the initials match my screename than yea lol, he actually bought another ski from me just recently I wonder who he'll pass it too next he was a real nice guy.

550klunker

kickin it old school
lol so you are patrick? ha yeah he was a super nice guy. when i bought it i had to rebuild it. what all did you do to it when you had it?

Si. That is the first ski I ever owned. I forget everything I did, but a bunch of little bolt on stuff nothing major. The biggest "mod" was boring out the exhaust manifold, drying out the pipe, and extending it. Which from what I remember really gave it a little more grunt.

550klunker

kickin it old school
well, couldnt do much to the motor tonight. still waiting on parts. so i decided to sand and paint my hood. turned our great except i can still see the icon stuff. razor blades are hell on fiberglass...gonna wet sand it sunday after it cures and put a couple more coats on it. should turn out great

Attachments

• Photo0205.jpg
    Photo0205.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 71

WAB

salty nuts
Might as well advance the timing some while you have the flywheel off.
Gonna add some lifters or anything for your feet to get under?

550klunker

kickin it old school
yup. got some footstraps on the way from wfo. and as far as timing goes, i dont really know how to mess with that so im probably gonna just leave it as is for now. now if only i can find a 44mm intake for cheap

550klunker

kickin it old school
Well..didn't get anything painted tonight, but my bendix came in today, so I put everything back together and dropped in the motor. Finally got it fired up!!! More work tomorrow

WAB

salty nuts
Well I see you already put it back together now. But it's easy, you loosen the 2 phillips head screws that hold the stator on and turn the stator plate COUNTER CLOCKWISE about 3-4mm. It really wakes it up.

550klunker

kickin it old school
hmm. i will have to do that next time i pull the motor. which will probably be when i put it in my 550.

Top Bottom