650/X-2 650sx reliability

In reality, how reliable is a bone stock 650? I want to pick up my coworkers but I have family telling me that I will just have to work on it more than I ride it. And I don't mean the fun work of modding it out. Let me know your thoughts. I don't want to hear about how slow and crappy they are, it will be a first ski and a cheap one too.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
i had a co-worker that bought two of them new and kept them stock. We rode nearly every weekend. He sold them after 10 years and had never put a dime in them (except batteries). He also took really good care of them.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I had nothing but problems with mine. BUT mine was a POS the day I bought it. The 650sx gets a bad wrap because they are old.

Change that question to asking about a Silverado Pick up truck. It was a good one when built in 1990, it probably still ran strong in 2000, but if you buy it now after a lack of continous mantenance, it's probably a piece of crap, beause it's over 20 years old

Don't be concerned about the quality of a 650sx. It's a good ski. Be concerned about buying a boat that is over 20 years old. You can expect the same problems of anything that old that has been used a lot and not properly maintained.

I got mine in 2006, only had a problem one time and that was the first time I took it out. One of the exhaust seals had cracked (yes over looked, because I didn't see the crack) $20 at the marine at temple bar... Never had a problem since then, and the only thing I have had to buy is a battery.

But I have to fully agree with the maintenance care of the ski, its like anything else if it is used like its stolen its going to look and work like it too in due time. With age of toys the way it has been treated is everything...

I do have to say at least its a reed ski. If you had the old piston port 550's, those kind of are a pain in the butt. I got a 1987 650sx and while I am having a few issues with it right now, it's probably because it has been neglected, and I bought it for 100 bucks :)

Top Bottom