650/X-2 650sx ride plate and intake grate questions

So one of the members on this site is selling a bunch of 650sx parts. I am in need of an aftermarket intake grate and ride plate. I was offered an R&D intake grate and an Ocean pro ride plate shipped for $160. The ski is stock for now, but I will eventually be putting a pipe and some other items on it once the motor is ready for a rebuild.

I was curious as to what you guys thought of these items on this particular ski ('88 650sx).

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have an Ocean Pro Finned ride plate and a Mariner plate, asking $80 shipped each.

My riding skill level has changed a lot since I blew my 650 motor (several years of riding).

The Ocean Pro finned plate worked ok. It has fins that stick out at about 45 degree angles from either side. This plate improved hook up and some stability at high speeds. The down side is that when I turned hard, the other side would come out of the water (Turn left, right fin out). This lead to a very hard reentry as I exited the corner. Who knows how it would be now that I know how to ride better. I would probably be able to handle that fin and get a lot of stability out of it. However, as a new rider, I frequently got a snap as I exited the corner and was thrown/fell to the outside of the corner when the fin hooked up. The fins are also very bad for free ride. They completely keep the back end of the boat from swinging around.

My Mariner ride plate is pretty flat. it just has 1 - 1cm chine sticking down from either side. It is mostly flat otherwise and was about even with the back of the hull. I don't know how this plate differed from stock. I never rode stock. I however liked this plate much better. I could get the hookup I wanted but not too much, while being able to keep the back end loose to play around. I think for racing the ocean pro would have been better, but my skill level was too low to ride it.

I have like 5 intakes but they fit my X2 so they are not for sale.

I had a stock intake which is fine, just wimpy plastic, so I never used it.

I have a simple 2 bar intake even with the bottom of the hull. Works like stock, just stronger.

I have a deep 2 bar intake that sticks down about 1" below the hull. This helps with lateral stability, that is, it keeps you from sliding sideways. Again, same situation as the ocean pro finned. It helped with racing but it was a more advanced intake. It had the tendency to hook up hard and if you were not prepared, well, you could be getting launched out of the corner. This intake with the finned ride plate made a very wicked pair. Lots of hook up on a bouy course, but bad for free ride.

My scoop grate I used most. It helped with keeping the pump loaded, just like any other scoop intake. The difference wasn't like OMG this is so amazing but it was better. Scoop grates improve performance in choppy water and surf riding, or free ride to help keep the pump loaded longer. They however can decrease top speed because of their drag (up to 1-2mph). It's rare that you are going to benefit more from the less drag of no scoop than the better hook up of having a scoop. Scoop is pretty much better all the time, because unless you are racing yourself or less than 3 people, you are always going to be facing some pretty solid chop.

They also make deep scoops. They hang below the boat. never used one and never will. I have no interested in having anything stick out from the bottom of the boat in a way that could bring me to a dead stop is I hit something or rip out my hull inserts. The deep bars is ok because it will just slide over any object or up the short, but a deep scoop, no thank you.

Cool thanks for the info. I just wanted something to make the ski handle a little better (even though she's 25 years old almost). I only ride the standup on lakes. Mostly buoy courses or just to throw around. The tail end slides all over the place now and I have issues when trying to carve corners. A lot of it is due to my stand up abilities, but I am working on that. I have no problems when I ride my buddy's newer sxr800.

My B1 is all modded out and I love the way it handles the buoy course. I just want a little more control on my 650sx. I'm hoping these two mods will improve it somewhat.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The ride plate and intake will help some, but the SX is still a hard ride. It will never carve like the SXR. My SJ doesn't handle anything like the SXR but still handles way better than the 650sx. A ride plate and intake my help, but I'm afraid not very much. The scoop intake will help keep water in the pump, but wont help much in the corners. Most ride plates aren't going to make that thing corner a whole lot better. The finned ride plate would keep the back end hooked up better, but like I said before, it hooks up hard, but when it gets loose, it hooks back up ridiculously hard. It will improve your handling, but only if you invest the time to learn to work with that plate.

I found the Ocean Pro plate to be annoying, it was hard to predictably slide out and would randomly catch and throw you at times, so went back to the stock plate.

So exactly what Vumad said about the above.

The ocean pro helps a little bit but its not gonna solve all the sliding issues. I noticed more of a difference with the scoop than anything. It made it stay hooked up in the turns more and kept the nose down.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I noticed the most improvement in my SX when I hacked it to pieces yesterday with a skill saw and threw it away. My Fiance said it's the best it has performed since she met me. Thing hit 25 as the trash man drove off with it. Didn't slide in the turn at all either.

I noticed the most improvement in my SX when I hacked it to pieces yesterday with a skill saw and threw it away. My Fiance said it's the best it has performed since she met me. Thing hit 25 as the trash man drove off with it. Didn't slide in the turn at all either.

Now that's funny and probably very true. This is my back up ski. My primary ride is a modded B1 with lotsa goodies. I usually loan it to ski-less friends or it's my wife's ride when she's not riding my Blaster. Might pass on the ride plate after all the advice and just go with the scoop grate for now.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Consider picking up a X2 hull and putting all of your parts into it. Almost everything is interchangeable (will need a drive shaft and steering). You can use the title from your SX to ride it. Keep the SX hull and if you don't dig it, just ditch it. The X2 has a problem of taking on water, so focus strongly on making sure the hull stays dry and install 2 bilges. Other than that, the X2 is a fun ride, more so than the SX. I guess maybe since you have a B1, the stand up as a back up is a better choice...

Top Bottom