Super Jet 701 Corrosion on Top of the Pistons?

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Hello, I was tearing apart my 701 62t/61x and it looks like some sort of corrosion maybe or what? I cleaned off the carbon and found this(see photos). and there is a scratch down the side, will that hurt anything? its not very deep. Also is this normal for my drive shaft to look like this??
SANY0159.jpgSANY0161.jpgSANY0158.jpgSANY0155.jpgDSCF3764.jpgDSCF3770.jpg

Waternut

Customizing addict
Is the stuff you're thinking is corrosion pitted below the rest of the piston or raised above it? I can't tell from the picture.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
yuck i have 701 pistons out of my 08 if you cylinders are still in good shape

cylinders still have cross-hacking, but they are .50 over stock bore.

Is the stuff you're thinking is corrosion pitted below the rest of the piston or raised above it? I can't tell from the picture.

That's whats weird is its perfectly smooth like a new piston, but i have never seen a piston stained like this. It say "ART" on the bottom of the pistons...idk if that brand is any good.

looks like she has been rode hard and put up wet

I have taken good care of her, but who knows about the previous owners.

what was the reason you took the top end apart..were you having issues or just wanting to freshen it up. if you only have lines running on one side of the piston that is typical of improper warm up...if it is on 4 sides of the piston that is usually caused by improper gas oil ratio and usually ends up in pistons seizing.....if you werent having issues b4 you tore down the top end i wouldnt be to concerned

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Thanks for the link i will check it out....Ski was running great last summer with 185 PSI in both holes. I had the motor out beefing up the insides of the hull and I have a few gasket sets on the shelf, so i figured i would check out the top end...Thats why i have it apart.

Waternut

Customizing addict
That's whats weird is its perfectly smooth like a new piston, but i have never seen a piston stained like this. It say "ART" on the bottom of the pistons...idk if that brand is any good.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Pistons are made of aluminum. Although aluminum does corrode, the corrosion will look like pitting. I have a hard time believing that the aluminum piston corroded before the steel rings and crank too. My guess is it's just stained and there's nothing wrong with it but I'm not holding the pistons either. You can rub some acetone across the area and see if some of the staining goes away.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
You can rub some acetone across the area and see if some of the staining goes away.

Tried acetone and its still there...They might be fine, but I'm going to go ahead and put some new billet forged pistons in so i don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Top Bottom