Freestyle 701 motor combos

Let me start by saying sorry for being so long-winded..
I have a 97 SJ with a 62T/62T set up. Guy I bought it from had a 760 in it, it blew, so he replaced it with a full 62T setup. I have dual 38's, B-pipe with limited chamber, TDR waterbox, grate and ride plate, Skat impeller (forget pitch), lowered pole bracket, kickers, tubbie destroyers, along with some more bolt-ons.. I've ridden a buddies Q8 with a SP 750 and bolt-ons, the ski pulled very hard on bottom end. My SJ really only hits hard up top at about 1/2 throttle and up..

Question: Im down to about 140lbs in each hole, and have different options/routes I can go. I'd like to hear from someone who has experience riding these different setups and can give actual comparisons, not just preferences.

1. Rebuild current 62T topend
2. Ive heard of people getting a smaller base gasket, lowering ports, raising comp, on current 62T
3. 61X cylinder to drop on
4. 64X 760 top end
5. Big Bore 61X cylinder (would port also if doing that much work)
6. BB 62T cyl. (port also)
7. Rebuild 62T and have it ported
8. Look for ported 61X
9. look for 760 cyl. and have it ported.
10. Look for full 61x/61x motor swap
11. With whatever combo I use, mill stock head, or use my WestCoast blue aftermarket head.

Please keep in mind, I am building a 750 Flatdeck X2, and cost is a pretty big factor. Would like to hear experiences, had trouble getting concrete details about these setups. THANKS

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
61x/62t is going to be the most desirable setup and to build/port upon

With that being said I would hit up Jetmaniac and get a 61x ported cylinder kit. He will have a top end and pistons you can just drop in. However, its not a very cheap setup.

So if your looking to save money now this might be able to wait until a little later. 140/140 is not a very low compression especially with stock head. Its also a good sign its even compression. Sometimes you might get lower compression if your at a higher altitude. For example at my altitude you may only get 135/135 on a fresh rebuild. The lower compression could be cause by a weak battery or an improper test.

I would finish your 750 and worry about this later on. Setting up a proper motor s worth the $$. If your just looking for more low end, look at a hooker prop (low pitched prop), head, and enhancer. All those things should give that 62t some low end.

61x/62t is going to be the most desirable setup and to build/port upon

With that being said I would hit up Jetmaniac and get a 61x ported cylinder kit. He will have a top end and pistons you can just drop in. However, its not a very cheap setup.

So if your looking to save money now this might be able to wait until a little later. 140/140 is not a very low compression especially with stock head. Its also a good sign its even compression. Sometimes you might get lower compression if your at a higher altitude. For example at my altitude you may only get 135/135 on a fresh rebuild. The lower compression could be cause by a weak battery or an improper test.

I would finish your 750 and worry about this later on. Setting up a proper motor s worth the $$. If your just looking for more low end, look at a hooker prop (low pitched prop), head, and enhancer. All those things should give that 62t some low end.

Just to let you know When stating motor, Cases first then cylinder. You stated 61x/62t this will make people think, single carb 61x cases, and 62t cylinder, high port high rpm couch cylinder.

I have a 97 SJ with a 62T/62T set up. Guy I bought it from had a 760 in it, it blew, so he replaced it with a full 62T setup. I have dual 38's, B-pipe with limited chamber, TDR waterbox, grate and ride plate, Skat impeller (forget pitch), lowered pole bracket, kickers, tubbie destroyers, along with some more bolt-ons.. I've ridden a buddies Q8 with a SP 750 and bolt-ons, the ski pulled very hard on bottom end. My SJ really only hits hard up top at about 1/2 throttle and up..

Question: Im down to about 140lbs in each hole, and have different options/routes I can go. I'd like to hear from someone who has experience riding these different setups and can give actual comparisons, not just preferences.

2. Ive heard of people getting a smaller base gasket, lowering ports, raising comp, on current 62T
4. 64X 760 top end
8. Look for ported 61X
11. With whatever combo I use, mill stock head, or use my WestCoast blue aftermarket head.

Please keep in mind, I am building a 750 Flatdeck X2, and cost is a pretty big factor. Would like to hear experiences, had trouble getting concrete details about these setups. THANKS

62t cylinders will have lower comp reading on the gauge. The exhaust port timing is higher = Lower gauge reading, and less low rpm performance, more mid to top end performance. You need to get the info on your impeller. You did not state what you are looking for as far as power wanted and at what rpm.

Last edited:
62t cylinders will have lower comp reading on the gauge. The exhaust port timing is higher = Lower gauge reading, and less low rpm performance, more mid to top end performance. You need to get the info on your impeller. You did not state what you are looking for as far as power wanted and at what rpm.

I'm looking for this thing to pull hard down low, not have to be at 1/2+ throttle coming up to a wave. I know the 62T cyl has higher exh port timings - better top end cyl, and vice versa for the 61X cyl. I loved how the small pin 750 with bolt ons just threw the Q8 out of the water whenever I grabbed the throttle, and yes I know there are big, well HUGE differences in hulls.. So low RPM powerban, and hit/pull hard bottom end. THANKS

4. 64X 760 top end
8. Look for ported 61X

You have too much prop for that 62T cyl. Use a milled stock head for bores larger than 82mm or else you need to be very careful in making sure the westcoast domes are centered.

Top Bottom