701 Swapped Kawasaki SXR 1500 - Conversion For Kids

Before I get any negative Nancy's, I want to first state these things:
Yes, the ski has a smaller engine than stock - it is specifically for my kids
The ski has a throttle stop to limit speed
Will be ridden in a large private pond, not public water
No I didn't want to get a 300sx. I probably have less money in this than a running 300/550 ski.

Anyway, Just wanting to share the project I've been putting together for my two boys. They've ridden skis with me ever since they were old enough to wear a lifejacket and they have been talking non stop about getting a ski they can ride by themselves. I have a place we can safely do that and the ski is setup where it will have an adjustable throttle limit.

2017 SXR 1500 hull and we dropped in a 701 61x engine I had laying around. Pretty simple and straightforward swap. We used a spark gas tank and I added 3 fittings to it. ADA couplers and it aligned perfect. Still using the stock 1500 pump/prop. First watertest was suprising as the ski went 38.5mph with the stock 1500 prop and the engine was being lugged down a bunch probably missing 2k rpm at wot (to be expected). Anyway, I think this is going to work perfect for what it is intended for and maybe one day we will swap an 1100 in it.

[VIDEO]

We got to test it out Saturday and the kids did AWESOME on it! My 3 & 4 yr old boys took turns every 10mins or so and they each got about 30mins ride time each so far. I sped it up for my 4yr old and it probably goes 10-12mph with him. A little less for my 3yr old.

BTW, I started a Youtube channel for them to document all of their adventures. Subscribe if you'd like to see more content like this - Thanks!

[video]

Actually bought the empty hull from a friend that used the engine in a race hull. Beginning of this year I swapped a 900 kawi into the 1500 hull, rode it a few months then sold it. I picked up another 1500 hull and swapped a kawi 1100 into it. Runs really good and I installed the same kawi throttle with the built in throttle stop for the kids to still ride it. It's more punchy but I still have it limited to <10mph if they want to ride it.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Actually bought the empty hull from a friend that used the engine in a race hull. Beginning of this year I swapped a 900 kawi into the 1500 hull, rode it a few months then sold it. I picked up another 1500 hull and swapped a kawi 1100 into it. Runs really good and I installed the same kawi throttle with the built in throttle stop for the kids to still ride it. It's more punchy but I still have it limited to <10mph if they want to ride it.
Any tips for the kawa 1100 swap? Also can you swap the kawa 148 pump into them?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I would also like to know I just bought a 23’ 1500 no engine or pump

Top Bottom