701 vs 760 ??

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I have one done by TLR myself and it hits harder than any other 760 I've ever ridden. That's why i say that a 760 done by the right person makes all the difference and simply being "bigger" displacement isn't enough.

What kinda cylinders does the yamaha XL 760 have?
....Is the same ones as GP 760 or are there differences??
-XL 760 with motor ID: 66D that is....
:Banane37:

61X cylinders are more forgiving because almost nobody cares to tune their pumps. High port cyls are so much more critical to pump load and overall tune that few riders can make them run well. Not many riders want to buy a tach and and spend time tuning props and nozzles.

Chucky just ported a 760 recently for a guy in Tampa and he also decked the base of the cyl where it meets the case to lower the port timing...this required the domes being cut to compensate for the decked cyl...This 760 hits like a mofo !!

-Whos chucky??

t1024j

94 blaster1 modded out
im looking to buy a new cylinder. i have a 62t with 83mm bore should i do a one over on it and run it? if i but a new one what is the best for riding surf a 61x or 62t 701????

RiverMike

Getting Vertical=Freedom
so after reading everyones posts, i think im getting the hang of 61x 62T 64x and so on. so my question is, are the cylinders and cases from 64x and the 61x/62T interchangeable? ive got a stock RN. i also have a 99 GP 760 sitting in the garage. i can just throw the 760 in my SJ?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The cases are interchangeable 100%.
The 760 cylinder uses larger exhaust manifold bolts.
You have a few options:
1. Use a 760 Exhaust manifold
2. Put helicoils/timeserts into the cylinder to accept the smaller bolts and run a 61x manifold
3. Enlarge the holes in a 61x manifold and use the 760 bolts in it.

last time i spoke with todd, he couldnt care if he never saw another jetski again! lol.

i think he just hated working on them in his shop because he hated the engine compartments. mx bikes are ALOT easier to work on and he was having back problems and hated being all hunched over and climbing around jetskis on trailers in his shop to work on them. i actually worked for him for a few months when i was in between jobs a bunch of years ago (circa 03?). that guy is the man, no doubt. i think if you called him and spoke to him, he might port a cylinder for you if you shipped it to him. give him a ring... you never know..

then again, you cant go wrong with Team Scream any day of the week either!

I had a 61x cylinder and it got a hairline crack on the base of the bow/starboard side cylinder. I spoke with a local builder and he said that this is vary common. So I did some research and found that Yamaha corrected this design flaw with the 62t cylinder by a thicker wall and a gusset. (pictured below) Also, not all 62t cylinders have these additional gusset supports.

I am building a 760 out of an XL with a TBM lightened flywheel (-2 lbs) and Cold Fusion lightened couplers (-1.5 lbs) that is 3.5 pounds off of the rotating mass. I am hoping this will counter the port timing by allowing the motor to rev up just as fast or even faster than the 701 61x cyl/62t combo. I am also porting the 64x cyl. Which in theory will give the same throttle response / low end pop as the 701, yet with aproximatley 15+ more horsepower.

My 760 should be going in the next few weeks and I will let you guys know how the combo works out.

Just for clearification:

64x cases = 62t cases! (stamped right on them) with two brass pulse lines for carbs (=44mm dual Mikuni's)
62t cases = have only one brass pulse line (=dual 38mm Mikuni's), but have the indentation for where the second pulse line goes. In other words they are the same cases, except for the second brass line is drilled and inserted from the factory on what people refer to as 64x cases (can easily drill it out and press in another brass fitting) You would do this for dual 44mm or greater carbs.
61x cyl = 701cc
62t cyl = 701cc (sounds like it might also be a 760, not sure if it is has a larger bore from the factory -or- larger diameter sleeves?)
64x cyl = 760cc

62t cylinder with gusset.jpg

Last edited:

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
all stock yamaha 64x 760 cylinders start out at 84mm standard bore. If your xl760 was 85mmm, then it is 2 sizes up already.
maximum bore on a 64x is 86mm...that is if you can find the pistons!

Top Bottom