701 with Rhaas kit. Stock exhaust/gas tank issue

So I have a perfect 61X I pulled from my blaster to make room for a 65U.

I had an old JS with a poopty 550 so it made perfect sense to toss in the 701. The rhaas kit is AMAZING for the price.

However...I'm having a serious clearance issue with the gas tank and exhaust.

Can anyone here who has done this swap help with an idea.

Thanks,

Jason

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
Running stock exhaust? It looks like a down pipe with a modified short chamber might sneak past the stock gas tank. You can also thin about getting a cart tank. What year is the JS?

The JS is an 89. Definitely wanting to run the stock exhaust as this motor is bone stock and will remain so. She runs PERFECT and I don't want to mod the motor. This is a little project so my son/daughter can have something to call their own when we hit the water.

I have seen the cart tank thing but am shying away from spending anymore cash on it. I've seen pics on google images but I was hoping someone had some insight. Tzane...are you a member of 850freeriders on facebook?

yamabro

GP Performance / Patterson Powersports
I think SBT did a write up and build of a JS and 701 conversion. With Mitchel from M&M Marine. Called it a Yamasaki. Great article and pictures

holy small tank!!!! how long can you ride with that????

I've been hearing the cart tank is the way to go but I'm out of money:(!!!

I might just toss the 61X in superjet hull I have and wait till funds come back for the JS

Talked to Robin at Rhaas.

For future reference...if you have a JS with a starboard side exhaust...the stock tank CANNOT slide to the side enough to fit
If you have a you an early exhaust on the port side (early)...the tank can be slid over
If you have an SX with rear exhaust...a stock tank can also slide over but it's TIGHT.

The easiest fix is to install a cart tank but I think I just NAILED a low budget option.

I will update by the end of the weekend with the finished product!

Vdub, you can heat and reform the tank if the clearance issue is relatively small. I have done and it is the tank I'm currently running in my conversion ski.

The cart tank i use is 9.5 litres as it is a stock motor it last for about 30 mins. It takes a minute to refuel and it it makes the ski lighter. I am setting this up for freeride (backflips and barrel rolls etc).

I did the swap a few months ago. Used an 8 liter cart tank. And for the exhaust pipe clearance issue, I put it on the mill at work and took off about 3/16 from the pipe mounting/gasket surface .

Attachments

• 20150510_083257.jpg
    20150510_083257.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 68
Hey Guys - Newbie here but wanted to show how tight the 550 tank fits if you use a 650sx cheater pipe (extended 2.5 inches) and westcoast 550 stinger cone. See my profile picture. It took several strips of hydroturf in between but it has been running great all summer and not melting the tank.

Guess I should have mentioned that. I am using the rear exhaust 550 setup. The gas tank pinches the rear exhaust hose if you allow it to, that's how tight it is. I just moved the bracket (I am not sure what you call the circle metal piece, for holding the long rear exhaust hose, that mounts to the motor mount) up to where it was pinching and it has been great all summer.

Yo!! ... how are y'alls rubber exhaust water sleeves looking against the ebox?? Just took a look at mine and it's showing some real red flags from friction... anyone else?? 20240408_173646.jpg20240408_173625.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom