750sx...My turn for the freestyle setup

Waternut

Customizing addict
What blew my mind the most with the flywheel part was; once the flywheel came off, the crankshaft looked brand new. There was a very narrow ring where the flywheel was seated on the crankshaft and the rest couldn't have looked better if I polished it.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Continueing on with the process of completely ruining a good ski...I decided to shorten the handlepole. I got my inspiration from c_legaspi on pwctoday who had a pretty good solution for shortening a stock kawi handlepole but the process for an aluminum pole was much different.

Here's what I have so far. The subplate has a funky angle in it so just moving it with extensions was out of the question. Went to Lowes and got some square zinc plated steel tubing. Then cut it to fit and drilled up the pole to attach it. I used some carriage bolts so they wouldn't stick out too far above the pole.
mounts.jpg

topofpole.jpg

Now that the mount is in place, time to chop the subplate because it doesn't fit otherwise and just hits the side of the pole.
subplate.jpg

Subplate installed...
installed.jpg

And the final for now...You can see all the places I didn't get paint when I painted the pole.
final.jpg

The problem I've run into now is that the handlebars hit the side of the pole. I'm thinking the pole has to be cut now. The end of the pole also needs to be cut some too but I've gotta figure out how to cut it and then reinforce/replace the frame that got taken out. I'm a little hesitant to do that so I'm going to think about it for a couple days and see if I can come up with a better solution.

PS - The handlebars are now exactly 4" shorter than they were. If I end up needing less, I'll adjust it a bit.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I thought about it long enough and determined that I may not need to cut the handlepole's frame...only the skin. I shaved the sides and rear down so that they were flush with the framing at the back and tried to make a smooth transition to clear the bars. I may be crazy but I think the pole looks a lot better than the standard box-like aluminum pole. Instead of big and bulky, it looks more sleek. I'll definately have to touch up the paint now though.

cutpole.jpg

cutforbars.jpg

Not that it's really a bad thing but the pole absolutely has to be turfed now. If you saw my chin pad you'd probably be thankful that I can't put it back on haha. Basically the chin pad has 6 screws holding it on. I needed the space for the 2 middle screws for the new steering mounts and I chopped off the aft section of the pole that holds those screws as well.

Last edited:

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
pole

Why dont you cut the part or the pole that hanging past the handle bars and cut your chinpad down and turf it?

but it does look great.

Waternut

Customizing addict
What's next?

That's what makes all my hobbies fun. Do something, try it, and then try something else. I did break down and order some REV footholds so I'll probably be installing those and returfing the ski. I'm going to miss the full length tray but I need something that will hold my feet in place better.

Why dont you cut the part or the pole that hanging past the handle bars and cut your chinpad down and turf it?

I want to but that requires cutting the poles frame and welding it back on (maybe JB weld since it's aluminun). I may eventually do that but I need to make sure the bars are where I want them first. Right now the frame is about 1/3" from the edge of the skin so I wouldn't gain much by shaving it flush with the frame except another headache on how to make that look decent.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I rode the ski this weekend....Thanks John. It was a huge improvement over last years setup. Good job on all the changes. Now it has some BRAP!

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
john...u got the ski looking good and from Mcdog, it sounds as though it's running good too. nice job on all the mods. hook it up with some turf. i'm jealous u were out this past weekend. i saw you riding. how'd the h2o feel? it'll prolly be late April early May b4 i'm out there.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Thanks. The water isn't that bad and it's warming up quick. I've got a 2mm full wetsuit and by the end of the ride, I was getting a little warm. A shorty would be ok but I do think it'd be chilly when you start out. I think late april/early may it will be bearable without a wetsuit but probably still chilly when you first start out. If your ski isn't ready next time, just come stand on the dock and flail your arms lol. I'll come over and you can ride if you'd like.

I got my REV footholds today and I'm hoping to install those soon.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Here's my latest progress. I flew out to visit some friends this weekend so I didn't work on it much. I think getting the turf on for this weekend may be a push unless I have a really boring day coming up. I still need to trim the enclosures a bit more and level out the step between the foothold and the tray but the bulk of the work is done on the install.

fh1.jpg

fh2.jpg

fh3.jpg

fh4.jpg

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well it's finally coming together. I spent most of Friday afternoon working on the padding and turf. I used the blue yoga mat from walmart. 1 layers along the whole bottom, 1 layer on the top of the footholds, and 2 layers at the back half. I still have some pieces that need to be added to the inside footholds.

There are a few imperfections but overall I'm fairly happy with the way it came out. Ignore the tape at the back...it's holding the stubborned parts.

1_newturf.JPG

Waternut

Customizing addict
BTW...I used that same blue yoga mat for the hood seal. You can see pictures further up. I must say that the mat works really well. Maybe even a little too well because it takes 2 hands and a good bit of effort to get the hood off if it's been on there for more than a minute or two.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I think that's pretty much it for a while...I'm sure I'll do little bits and pieces throughout the summer but for now, it's ready to go. Here are the final results...
1_finished1.JPG

1_finished2.JPG

I know I plan to add another bilge pump and a few other things because I can't leave anything untouched for too long but probably nothing major. I wished I could've turfed the rails but the only piece of turf I have left is about 20"x20".

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well update on the trim...
I ended up taking it off for now because the steering is incredibly stiff and sloppy with it. Put the stock bored nozzle and steering nozzle back on. I really think the biggest problem is the spacing differences between the two nozzles. Everything is still connected and I'll try it again later on in the summer but for now, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Top Bottom