Super Jet 771 61x Question

Hey guys, first post here so I appologize in advance if it's a dumb question. You're probably going to be getting a lot of them from me as I'm pretty new to the sport but hooked already!

So I bought a RN SJ off a member on here, completely stock motor. I found a used 771 top end for $500 (61x cylinder, sleeved) comes with pistons, of course I'd re-ring it before installing. I emailed Factory Pipe about a mod pipe, they said it should work great with a 771 and would ship out in 3 weeks. I'd also like to install an ADA head when I do the 771. My question is, would I use a 701 head with 35mm domes, or do you need to use a 760 head? Any other advice? Thanks in advance!

that top end is a bit much for a newbie I suggest you sell it to me... just kidding

He is kidding but is kind of right. I would still buy all the parts if they are a good deal, but not tear the ski apart till the winter. So you can get as much tray time this summer.

He is kidding but is kind of right. I would still buy all the parts if they are a good deal, but not tear the ski apart till the winter. So you can get as much tray time this summer.

I agree, I've had a 94 550sx for 5-6 years but didn't ride it more than a dozen times a season because I had other "priorities" (motocross) but my wife told me I'm getting to old for that :grumble:. I'm planning on riding the superjet as is for awhile, but I hope to progress and would like to get the parts while they are available. We are on a lake, and it's as flat as flat can be. We are at one end and rarely even get any boat traffic so I think any kind of flatwater freestyle will require a bigger motor.

Dmac80sc- I think I read that somewhere as well, at least that's the case with the xscream 771.

Last edited:
Here's the ebay ad, turns out the guys a bust. I emailed him a few times and no response, so I googled his ebay name and it seems he's pretty famous for ripping people around the PWC world. Here's the ad so other people can avoid him http://www.ebay.com/itm/280890087382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So looks like I may just start accumulating the parts for a winter project. Thinking LA sleeve 789 sleeve, pro-x pistons, keep the B-pipe that's on order, MSD ignition (do these help a lot)? Thanks

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Here's the ebay ad, turns out the guys a bust. I emailed him a few times and no response, so I googled his ebay name and it seems he's pretty famous for ripping people around the PWC world. Here's the ad so other people can avoid him http://www.ebay.com/itm/280890087382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So looks like I may just start accumulating the parts for a winter project. Thinking LA sleeve 789 sleeve, pro-x pistons, keep the B-pipe that's on order, MSD ignition (do these help a lot)? Thanks

Buying unknown ported cylinders from unknown sellers is a total roll of the dice. If it is race ported or amateur ported, you may have just wasted 500. on an expensive lesson. It is even clear what king of cylinder that is from the ad. It could be just a 62t cylinder bored to 85mm with stock sleeves.

Might want to change your bpipe order to limited for more bottom end

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
^^^^
I I I I

U should check this guy for a professionally ported top end kit at a fantastic price.

Last edited:
I think you should by your top end from jetmaniac as a complete that way you dont have to order seperate sleeves and stuff, well known memeber and execellent prices and top notch customer service....X2 on above post

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It is even clear what king of cylinder that is from the ad. It could be just a 62t cylinder bored to 85mm with stock sleeves.

Directly from the ebay listing:

this is a 61X super jet waveblaster cylinder that has been fitted with big bore sleeves

That said, I wouldn't go anywhere near used ported cylinders. Been there, done that. Never again.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Thanks for the kind words guys, but there are many other quality builders to choose from: xmetal and jetworks to name a few. Use the X to learn what works, what to budget, what order to build, then pick a builder to guide you through the process.

I just see so many people buying parts here and there and trying to piece together a ported setup on the cheap.

Cheap isnt a good value if you are always stuck wrenching on the shore or worse rebuilding your one of a kind motor over and over....

dont buy a used unknown 'ported cylinder' here
and some used carbs there
and some used reeds there
and tune and setup carbs from advice from someone else

Just my .02

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Thanks for the kind words guys, but there are many other quality builders to choose from: xmetal and jetworks to name a few. Use the X to learn what works, what to budget, what order to build, then pick a builder to guide you through the process.

I just see so many people buying parts here and there and trying to piece together a ported setup on the cheap.

Cheap isnt a good value if you are always stuck wrenching on the shore or worse rebuilding your one of a kind motor over and over....

dont buy a used unknown 'ported cylinder' here
and some used carbs there
and some used reeds there
and tune and setup carbs from advice from someone else

Just my .02

A thousand times this. The first few years I got into this hobby, I was doing exactly what Chris described. Stuff never ran right, something was always broken, something always needed to be replaced or rebuilt.
A few years ago I finally took the plunge and had one guy build me the complete package from flame arrestors to reduction nozzle. My carbs were tuned perfectly out of the box and I got to just .... ride for once. No wrenching on stuff, everything just worked.
Yah it costs more money initially than piecing something together. But it will make more power, be more reliable, and in the end probably cost less money and for sure less aggravation.

Top Bottom