800 sxr js550 swap?

holygoat

Site Supporter
I don't see why not. Afaik SXR800 and 750SX are very similar motors.

BUT - Unless you want to fork over $2-300 for the right prop the pump will be seriously underpowered. And even when you do, it's still lacking.

At the end of the day, no.matter how much time and money you put into, it's still a 550. A larger lore stable and powerful hull that can handle the Power and put it to the water is the better choice

holygoat

Site Supporter
No hate and I don't want to be that guy, but the pump and the hull will always be lacking.

I did a 750 swap 550, and quickly realised that the pump was heavily restrictive, combined with a 650 pipe that wouldn't let it breathe.

I could get a prop for $200, or do a pump swap for somehwere in the region of $6-800.

I decided to sell the whole lot and got a Superjet, and then I'm now experimenting with superjet driven aftermarket hulls. At the end of the day there's no right or wrong answer, but you will always be riding a hull and pump combo designed in the 70s. Things have come a long way.

So after getting beat up by my 550 all week. I'm no longer considering doing anything more with 550 hulls. I'm so fat and out of shape it's a damn chore just getting the boat out of the water and keeping it straight. Fun little boats but under no circumstances am i taking the thing for a long ride. I'm gonna stick to my tigercraft v3 build.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Unless your one of those weird die hard 550 people then don't waste your time. Otherwise its not different then a 650 or 750 swap.
I am glad I am not the only one that thinks those guys are weird , also the guys that race riding lawnmowers and Kawasaki SC's , but hey what do I know .

I rode one of Dave Gordons old race skis a few years back , it was not fun to ride to say the least , how anyone raced that thing is beyond the compression of us mere mortals.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I built a ski with a 440 pump and a 550 reed motor 1991, I rode that ski for years , then I put the engine in my 300SX and rode for another couple of years.

Between a 440-550 and a 550 powered 300SX I will take the 300SX hands down any day of the week.

Humans were much more athletic 30yr ago.
I was thinking when building this ski, ehh if I like the boat maybe I'll race the stock 550 class. My gut, forearm pump and tired body says it's not worth it bro. Hats off to the 550 riders. Different animal. I rode an fx1 all my life and even that didn't beat me up as bad as this 550.

Top Bottom