94 750sx Spark or Fuel Issue ???

I have a 94 750sx that I do not know much about at all. I bought it from a friend who never rode it, who bought it from a guy who builds skis and sells them. It has a green motor (not stock for 94 I believe) if that means anything and a single carb. Anyways, on to the issue....

For the last year it has always ran great and I could ride for hours on end with no issues. The last two times out it has been having a strange issue... It starts and runs great until you fall hard or submarine it. Then it starts up just fine and idles just fine but you hit the throttle more than 1/4 to plane out and it immediately dies. I can idle it back to the dock but cannot touch the throttle otherwise it dies right away.

My dilemma is I do not know if this is spark or fuel related. If the ski sits for a few days, then it runs great again...until you fall or submarine it. I am thinking this is spark related since it dies immediately after getting really wet and then seems to "dry out" when it sits and then it runs fine again. It seems something is getting wet and shorting out or grounding out when under more load than idle. Someone also suggested maybe something in the carb is out of whack but I don't know what it would be that would cause this. I also do not know if it is from getting wet (electrical) or the fact the ski is being tipped really far one way (fuel).

If anyone has experienced this or could point me in the direction to start looking into it that would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

try cleaning the stop switch and 4 pin connector for it by the ebox. Also try cutting back the wires. Are you sure the carbs arent getting water in them?

Thanks for the replies! I will be re-wiring my kill switch sometime between now and this Saturday as well as double checking the 4 pin connector by the ebox.

I do not think its water in the carbs but I only think that because when it happens, there is very little water in the engine bay. Of course I am not ruling anything out so it's always a possibility.

I will do my re-wiring and double checking and let everyone know how it goes. I am also planning on running it in my garage and spraying everything down with a squirt bottle to see if that helps identify the issue.

Also, would I be able to post pictures of my setup and everyone can chime in to help me identify the parts I have since I have no clue whats really there...?

dont forget to cut back your plug wires. Mine had very similar issues as yours when I needed a trim a few years back. It would run great untill I fell or did a 180 and loaded the motor up. Just a thought and it never hurts to make sure your plug wires are good before trouble shooting odd problems

Top Bottom