96-07 SJ Vs. 08 and Newer SJ?

dave787

Couches are boring
the bottom hull is a lot different on the 08+. personally I'm a huge fan of the new changes. some people don't like them because they say they "handle too well". Personally I can make mine slide around plenty for stabs and flat water tricks which I'm just now getting better at. It will take more money to make the '08 a great free ride ski because the steering pole and cable have to be swapped to increase the nozzle throw. It's preference in my opinion. Some people swear the old hull is way easier for tricks since it's so slippery, but then people put tubbies on the old hull and it makes it feel like a less refined version of the 08+ hull in my opinion.

Your call

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
There is nothing I can do on an old sj that I can't do better on my 08. Of course with the exception of sliding tricks like bull dogs. I would rather be able to rail corners than do that stuff any way. One of the best parts about the new sj is the setback pump. The hook up is just unreal. You can pull out of anything so long as you keep one foot in the tray and a hand on the throttle.

The only way to make this decision is to ride each of them.

I rode an 08 and it was not really anything like how people explained it.

I loved both of them. If I had to describe the biggest difference, it would be that the pre-08's cut loose much easier.

SkiNaked

Stand up or Shut up!
It is all a comfort or feel thing. The new hull rails a little better. Tackier in the corners. The Pre-08 hull without tubbies is the same as the SN and you can slide it all over. The Pre-08 hull with tubbie IIs is the best of both worlds IMO. Can rail like the 08 and keep the back end a little looser.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
My prior boat was a pre 08 with tubbies and the handeling was no where close to that of my 2008. Tubbies grab in the corners where the new superjets kind of glide through the corners. The tracking is so much better too. Boats with tubbies tend to chine walk. Also if your running wot through chop some times they will hook to one side. The new sj's have alot more pop off a wake/wave. I don't know if this is from the hull or the setback pump but I can get much more air/distance with my stock 2008 than I could with my ported 735 w/ dual 46's. If you want to slide go buy an old Kawasaki JS.

SkiNaked

Stand up or Shut up!
Enjoy your stock ski. I can rail on my SXR. My Pre-08 SJ is a surf boat. I am sure with a little skill, your Ported 735 would jump further/higher. Unless your port work was crap, pump was not good, or you just did not know how to ride it. Both the 08 and pre-08 are great boats. I agree the set back pump is nice. No thanks on he JS. It may get more air/distance or slide better for you, but that is not what I am looking for in a standup.

Last edited:

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Skill or setup isn't the issue. Go ride both. From what I have found no matter how modded an older sj is it is still not going to be able to handle or hookup better than the new ones in stock form.

SkiNaked

Stand up or Shut up!
I have ridden both. My SXR handles and hooks up better then both for riding chop and carving. For the Surf I still prefer the Pre-08 with tubbies because that is what i am comforable on. I am sure if I spent more time on the 08 after I got it modded, I would like it. I rode a stock 08 and a modded 08 with tubbie IIIs destroyers and felt the addtion of tubbies IIIs made the ski ride much better then stock form. Check out Ross Champions Go Fast ski for a look at the tubbie IIIs on a 08.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I can def see how tubbie III's would help out. The 08's can be a little bit too easy to lay over. The tail tends to punch through the water more than slide. Now when I hop on an SXR from my 08 SJ the kawi feels slippery.

So basically it is all preference.
My sxr hooks up great and the raced out 650 slides all over.
Im leaning towards the 08 just cause it is newer and hooks up but can also slide when you need to do tricks which is what I like

SkiNaked

Stand up or Shut up!
Throw on some tubbies on that 650. Makes it an entirely new ski. If I was going to buy a new ski, I would buy the 08-09 Superjet. If I was going to build one from scratch, I would go with the pre-08 to save some cash.

Top Bottom