96+ Superjet OEM hood seal fitting - Help!

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
I just bought a 96 OEM hood seal and am tryin to test fit it. It seems to be about a inch or so too long. I've been dicking with it for a half hour and cant get it all to fit in the groove.:banghead: I just wanted to test fit it and maybe tape it down for a while to "train" it before I glue it, because it comes all wrapped up in circles in the package from Yamaha.
I've never installed a round nose hood seal before but have done many OEM square seals and they all fit like a glove, with no problems.
I wished they would have moulded the back section like they did for the front section. I've tried gathering/bunching as much as possible on the sides to make it fit and no go..
For $105 POS piece of rubber, it should fit with no problems!!!:rippedhand:

Any suggestions!?!?:biggthumpup:

TIA

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
the whore says... check it on your square nose ! Might be the wrong one !

noooooo just put your jet ski in the sun and the seal in the freezer !

No, no, no.. The square is square on every corner(like a square should be). Its not a square seal..

Ya, Mike, i was afraid that i might have to cut it. Then what superglue? I do have some Black flexible sugerglue.

Keep the advice coming! Thanks!

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
I have one that is cut on my Wamilton's ski (not installed by me) and I have cut one before as well because it was too long when I installed it.

The one I installed on my WCF hull fit good, but I had to really take my time and make sure not to stretch it at all. I asked Charlie about this before I installed it and he told me to make sure that I did not stretch it and to make sure that the seal fit in the channel properly. I had to twist the hood seal to the proper angle in some areas and it worked out good. When I originally laid it up dry it appeared too long, as well, but when I twisted it to the correct angle it seemed to fit in like it should.

I hope that made sense. :dunno:

THEY ARE NOT TOO LONG!

when you lay them in the channel they will look as though an inch or so too long, BUT..

you have to install them the right way.

go to a hobby shop and get some zap-a-gap (high fill CA glue), and some accelerator...

line it up, then glue it in one section at a time (few inches each time), while working it back against itself

install tips provided by WDK

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
It can be done without cutting. Just take your time, don't stretch it and work the front and corners 1st making sure to even out the slack between the 2 sides. I have done it twice with success:cheer: and once without success:banghead: . I have never cut one. I use superglue and do aprox 6" stretch at a time taking up slack where possible.

RoyalFlush@PCB

Shootin' The Crap
Ok, some say Superglue, Some saw weatherstip adheasive, etc etc etc
what works the best???

i'm with idok. the ZAP (CA) stuff the hobby shops sell is the shiznits

SuperGlue, which is effectively the same as the CA stuff, is what I've had the best luck with. When I looked around here for CA at a hobby shop they didn't have any. Ended up at Home Depot buying a few of the largest SuperGlue tubes they had.

I have also seen contact cement used with success on a hood seal, but the SuperGlue is easier to have a clean install.

DR3

Xscream Braaaap
THEY ARE NOT TOO LONG!

when you lay them in the channel they will look as though an inch or so too long, BUT..

you have to install them the right way.

go to a hobby shop and get some zap-a-gap (high fill CA glue), and some accelerator...

line it up, then glue it in one section at a time (few inches each time), while working it back against itself

install tips provided by WDK
what doc said, i just did one myself and you have to do a couple inches at a time.
i had the best luck with the fast setting glue b.c im impatient:biggrin:
but just work it back on itself as you go around and DONT STRETCH IT!
good luck, it can be done. no reason to cut a new rubber!:purr:

michael950

for me to POOP on!
Prior to install, do you remove the adhesive that was used by the previous seal?

I have the OEM "glue" I need to remove and does not come off with goof off.

Top Bottom