98 951cc engine swap to rickter FS3

Hey guys I’m new to this stand up world, and I have a few questions for the guys who have done engine swaps before.
So basically I want to put a 1998 GSX 951cc engine into a 2013 Rickter FS3 hull. Does anyone have any tips and how hard would this be to do? Can I use the same pump and everything or no? Thanks

Not a Yamaha based ski but this is the same idea of what you are trying to do so worth a read... http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/a-true-homebuilt-b-o-b.166610/

I don't see it fitting easily and they are motors that are known to ingest water and grenade with the carbs being so low...I dont see why you would want to do this but if you have the motor, fab skills and alot of time than go for it and make sure to document the build. Always a first for everything. Just much better cost efficient, and lighter, with plenty of power options in my opnion that just drop in sticking with a Yamaha setup.

MarkWalker

Site Supporter
Anything is possible. If I remember right, FS3 hulls were set up for Polaris? I can see couplers being an issue. Exhaust may be an issue. Seems like a ton of work for very little reward.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Anything is possible, more work then it's worth, plus 951 are troubled engines. Would probably be a real tight fit, with the massive pipe and the engine laying over like they do.

Use the same pump?.. If your talking about the seadoo pump, the answer is no.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Biggest issue is the pipe. When the GP Class rules came out @jetskicrazy installed a 951 in his SN SJ. I cannot remember if he had to modify the hood and/or side of the hull for clearance. That could be an issue. Also the carbs are basically side draft carbs, Could easily suck in water. Next is those are heavy motors. That adding alot of weight to an FS hull which has a lighter layup schedule.......... But hey, go for it.

Thanks Rush I had not seen this. Great surf boat engine. The 951 is a monster of a engine, getting a 150HP is not a problem and very reliable when compared to other 150hp 2 cylinder 2 strokes. The biggest issue is the pipe, I got around the pipe issue by making my own (designed for low end) it made all the difference in the world. The 951 is great for a surf engine and once you get rid of the weight of the stock pipe they really are right in the same ball park as any other engine. To build one for 150Hp is cheap in a relative sense. Given that you have a engine already to rebuild it and get it to 150Hp you will have to spend around 1500.00 not bad. I can give you any specs you want for whatever power level you want to get to. Just have to decide what you want it to do and how much HP you want. I did a carbon laydown pipe (with a lot of help[ from some very knowledgeable people} and wouldn't change it. Its a water injected pipe. I have been really taking my engine up a notch each year. Probably pushing 170 HP now. How reliable it is I can only guess, I just did some changes to the ECU. I have only had one outing in the last month, but its scary on the lowend. The engine has a very linear power band, no jerking around which I like for a surf boat. That said its very strong on the lowend and can be a handful until you get in the groove. Ask anything you like, check out the threads above.

I'm interested in weight comparison to say a big billet 62t. I assume it's more due to balance shaft and it's physically bigger, but how much? Also what did you do for $1500? Relative to a 900-1000 sized 62t that is cheap.

My engine and pipe weights 109#. It is bored to 996cc, ported intakes and exhaust , wossner pistons (fullbore), reed spacers, rinaldi reeds, proc’s, ADA head 165psi, stock carbs rejetted, carbon laydown pipe, timing advanced. Squish is tight but not as tight as some. Realize this engine is set up for surf riding in a standup and would die a quick death in a couch. This engine is optimized for low end. I could make more power but would not get more than a season out of it. This engine is going on its third season and has been abused the entire time.

Last edited:
I would like to speak to the weaknesses of the engine. First the carbs , the intakes are a full 1.5 inches lower than a 701 or 760. And worst yet they point to the riders left, so you have to learn to side mount from the right. I run a Epic scupper and a bilge. The counter balance shaft does smooth out the engine and smoothes out the power band so the extra weight is worth it. Same with the pto its heavy but has a purpose. A lot of talk about the 951 being a arm ripper with a jankey power band in the past can be chalked up to tuning (probably running a water injection solenoid poorly set). And last the pipe you either have to make it yourself or mod a white pipe or a coffman, So there are the trade offs. I did run a modded coffman for a while but it lacked lowend powerr and if you inject it heavy to get lowend it will try to rip your arms off.

For reference I just weighed an 898 short block and it was 75 lbs. That was completely bare, no bed plates no starter no reeds, intake, carbs, manifold pipe. Now I gotta weigh the whole thing when I get it back it if curiosity. Is your number including intake and carbs?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
tTere is a build thread somewhere where a guy put a 951 in a 300sx and talked about removing the balance shaft to shave weight.

I've been watching this thread and am too dumb to keep quiet. Back when the "open" or "gp" class came out, everyone started with a 951. Long story short, the 951 SUCKS water. It was bad enough in a sitdown, now you want to put it in a water logged hull, not a good idea. It's carbs are located perfectly if injesting water is your goal. It's longer rods will not enjoy a "small" hydro lock. Take out the balance shaft? Great way to ruin that motor. It was designed around it but go ahead. Our small yami based engines may not be perfect but they are really good for how they are used. SD is not what comes to mind when reliability is the topic. Also, it is a big engine, size wise. Coffman pipe works good, but it's a big package to fit in a SXR. On this, my sounding like a dick is just trying to save money and time. It's also a lot of weight on the motor mounts when you don't land just right, just like the heavier engines out there. But my sounding like a Rick, (R&M) maybe, just maybe you'll focus your efforts on a different line, or just do it anyway.

For reference I just weighed an 898 short block and it was 75 lbs. That was completely bare, no bed plates no starter no reeds, intake, carbs, manifold pipe. Now I gotta weigh the whole thing when I get it back it if curiosity. Is your number including intake and carbs?
Yes my weight was complete engine,starter, carbs,manifold and pipe . Turnkey.

Yea
Don't listen to @egbrig hes just mad you figured out the secret sauce! :p
Yea, the secret sauce. I've built and have been involved with some really creative builds over the years. Most of them have been for racing so it's not just about getting it built but having to perform on a comparative stage. If making a 951 work in your boat is your goal for just you, by all means go for it! You will learn a lot along the way. If doing this project is about saving money to get the same performance then you'll still learn but it won't be what you think. Triples make great power, but in a surf boat, bad idea, or just wait till you sink one real good. The weight of the 951 will effect the weight distribution of the boat (handling) the 951 hydro locks real easy, it blows cases apart real easy. I worked at a jetkski shop at the beach for a little while (Stewie Griffin voice) and 951 make dealers $$$. Now that the 951 has fallen out of favor in the racing world you can find Coffman pipes fairly easily. Coupler adaptors should still be around somewhere. Remember a 951 only uses three motor mounts so now you have a heavier motor and its forces are distributed to only three points, oh and they are SD mounts, not what you'd call strong mounts. I do remember some guys who made an adapter to make it mount to four points but more weight and complexity. The real question on all these forums is "Do you want the truth or something beautiful?" I can cheer you on as you drive off a cliff or hurt your feelings a little and same you more grief.

Top Bottom