SX/SXi/SXi Pro 98 SxiPro Carb problem, Please Help!

Hi guys, Here is the problem I am having. My ski I bought used and don't know exactly what it has on it but here is to the best of my knowledge some of the stuff done on it. It has the Coffman's pipe, 44mm BN Carbs, V Force Reeds, R&D Intake. The jets that are in it are 120 and a 105. I have to run the LS Needle at 1/2 a turn and the high at 3/4 to make the thing run decent. It still needs full throttle when trying to start though and doesn't run right until after 3/8th throttle or so. It feels like it just has way to much fuel going to it. These jets are around or near stock from what I thought I read somewhere but it doesn't run right. Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Ps, here are some pictures to help see what I am working with.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 16
I cannot tell from the pics what carbs you have... Sorry, But how many bolts hold the filter adapters to the carb? Measure the bottom of the carbs not the top, to find out the size you have. Also sounds like your pop off is really low.

Last edited:
Ok, I ordered a popoff gauge and some springs today. Hopefully will have them tomorrow. I will check on the carb bolts and length of carb tonight. I know the stock gasket for the carb doesn't fit as I ordered the wrong one so I am pretty sure its the SBN44. Where should I set the popoff to start? I was thinking around 20 lbs. I am also going to do a compression test on it tonight to see if there was any headwork or anything done. What should the stock compression be? Thanks again for the help.

Yea they dont look like the mikuni 40's since the fuel pumps are facing the engine. I noticed something and this is just a suggestion, to ask or call some shops and ask about sharing 2 fuel pumps off of one pulse line. I know dual carb setups usually run off one pump but since the line is being shared I do not know if that/could cause problems.

You should be in the 150 - 155 range compression wise if stock.

Top Bottom