A Back Flippin' 550!

IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3248.JPG IMG_3333.JPG Last summer I bought my first 550. Best summer ever! after riding on flat inland lakes, and then rollers in Lake Michigan, I decided that I love surf ridding. being that i own a 750 ssxi, I went out and found a bare 550 hull to mod and transplant the 750 drive train into.

Last edited:
Toby I was in the same boat last year. I love to surf ride. You should look at doing the rhaas pump conversion. It is worth ever penny. You picked the same donor ski that I did. You can use engine electrics pump nozzles. It will cost about 550.00 for the pump kit and bearing. Also a sx intake grate, x2 driveshaft and a couple other things. It's all spelled out on the rhaas racing page. The nice thing is it all bolts up. I live up in northern michigan, but will be riding in your neighborhood a couple times this summer with some other conversion skis. Good luck, and keep at it . Summers coming.

This is interesting, but the Rhaas pump swap kit does accomplish the same thing rather well. And the way the pump mounts further back makes the inlet tract volume significantly better. I was a beta tester for the pump swap and have done all sorts of things. My build thread is in the individual builds section on pwctoday. Much more of these builds over there.

Where are you in western MI? We ride in Portage and have two 550/750s and one 550/650 in our group. My ski is getting a freestyle ported 800 this year. Check the thread and drop me a line if you have any carb jetting questions.

This is interesting, but the Rhaas pump swap kit does accomplish the same thing rather well. And the way the pump mounts further back makes the inlet tract volume significantly better. I was a beta tester for the pump swap and have done all sorts of things. My build thread is in the individual builds section on pwctoday. Much more of these builds over there.

Where are you in western MI? We ride in Portage and have two 550/750s and one 550/650 in our group. My ski is getting a freestyle ported 800 this year. Check the thread and drop me a line if you have any carb jetting questions.

Thanks Vetteman3. I've actually read a lot of your posts on my quest for wisdom. Great stuff!

I have another 550 that i would like to put the RHAAS pump kit into.

We ride in Muskegon, mostly on lake MI. (unless the Cross Lake Ferry is coming through, very big wakes.)

Do you know of any free rides around?

Nothing between us and you that im aware of. We do have a pretty decent group. Normally we have 12 skis or so out, and this year when other guys visit getting to 14-16 would be pretty easy. We have everything from a superstock 440 to two 1100 sxrs. Freestyle we have an xscream and Rickter.

You'll need to reinforce that hull given those big waves, but off one given the right circumstances flipping might not be too crazy!

550 game strong!

Why not just graft the whole 750 bottom onto the 550 top? Seems like less work than trying to line up the pump to the motor....

Just recently did this to my 550 build. 650sx bottom half 550 top half. If I was you I'd stop now. Your gonna want to use a complete SJ bottom and pump because it will really help to have that 701 bottom end punch to get all the way around.

Not trying to rain on your parade just trying pass on some hindsight that recently happened to me.

Currently trying to get a 701 to fit in my 550 650sx thing.

Top Bottom