SX/SXi/SXi Pro A few questions for the SXI Guru's

Hey Guys, I finally got the jetting on my ski right. It's a 98 SXI PRO. I have the following stuff done to the ski and need some suggestions on where to buy the next few things I'm wanting and what parts will be the best. I am 190lbs so I need all the help I can with the bottom end on this thing.

Here is what I know I have.... Jet Dynamics Ride plate and intake grate, Tubbie 2's, Dual 44 Carbs with R&D intake and V Force Reeds, and a Coffman's Dry pipe system. The rest is stock from what I can tell. Here is what I am wanting to do but not sure where to buy the parts or what might work best.

First, I need to get closer to the front of the ski. I feel like I can't get my weight forward enough ever. Is there a setup the will shorten the pole without having to buy a new pole and mount? Maybe a set of bars and bar mounts?

Second, I want to work on the pump, thinking of getting the Skat 9/17 impeller and maybe the Blowsion cone? Any stores online have this stuff in stock that I can use? I have an all stock pump setup now and am hoping this will help get my big you know what out of the water a little faster. Any other ideas on this? I was also thinking about taking .040 off my head to bump up the compression a little.

If anyone has any other ideas to make the ski better please by all means let me know. Thanks in advance for all the help.

What exactly do you want to use the ski for? Free style or chasing buoys, or...?

The stock impeller in the SXi pro is a stainless 9/17. Going to a Skat of the same pitch isn't going to do you much good. A stock SXR impeller is a inexpensive upgrade. With all the work don't to that ski, I would be surprised if the head is not already milled. Was is your cranking pressure at?

How tall are you and why do you want to get closer to the front of the ski? I found that by moving my weight forward the ski comes unhooked easier in the corners. If you are looking to keep the nose down, the only truly effective thing to do is install hull extensions.

I run Blowsion tubbie II's, 3DR hull extensions, worx ride plate, skat trak intake grate, custom pitch solas dynafly, 82mm reduction nozzle, -2" AC racing pole (I am 5' 9" and don't like it), 4* bars in my '02 Pro.

As far as pump setup with your mods I would think youll find a 13/18 to work much better. A 9/17 will cavitate quicker with that power. I also found that with a bored nozzle a stock cone worked better than a stubby cone, again it fights cavitation. This is all from personal expierence.

To move the bars forward cheaper than byuing a AM pole look into a JRE billet plate and two piece straight bars on ebay. Its the best 100 bucks I spent on my ski. They move the bars forward about 1 inch compared to the stock quick steer plate the sxi pro comes with and going to straight bars instead of 0deg bars will help too.
and
If you still want more nose pressure I have a set of blowsion CF hull extensions cut to 2" that will really bring the nose down and make it carve like a champ. I also have a bored stock nozzle. I will sell both of them cheap. let me know if your interested. I went with a 650sx nozzle and like it so far.

I plan on using the ski mainly for just free riding. I don't plan on racing and but like the feel of a planted ski that turns really well. I find now that I like it better with a full tank of gas vs when it runs low so that is why I was thinking of going with more weight up front. I am 6'0 tall and it just seems hard to move forward enough when I want to. I think I will try the bar setup sxipro02 is running and see how I like that.

I am also going to bring home the compression gauge tonight and will check it out when I get there. I will try and find a stock SXR impelller or a 13/18 to try and see how that works out for me.

Thanks for the help and I will post up the compression when I find out.

If you do get a different impeller make sure you get a big hub sxr style, it will help. I loved my extensions when I had them on there but have now learned to ride over the bars and prefer the nose to be light for freestyle type riding. I took off the extensions and shortened and D cut the stock plate and even flipped the trim wedge for trim up. It rides very light now.
BTW I offered 100 shipped on the bar setup and he was ok with that, I think the auction is 120 plus shipping obo. You can also get a pump wedge from JRE on ebay if you want to add more trim (look to make sure yours is on right. I.E. fat side at the top between the reduction nozzle and pump housing)
I also switched back to a R&D acquavein intake grate and like it waaaay better than the solas I tried to run, It keeps you hooked up, less cavitation=less leaning back

heres a pic so you can see the changes in it, the second one is of the hull extensions I have

6ae6c0ee.jpg

ccd9d634.jpg

Thanks, I ordered the steering setup today and also ordered an impros Hooker 11/17 impeller. I also got the stubby pump cone. I will see if that stuff helps and go from there. Thanks again for the help.

No prob. Like I said before though, you might have issues running the stubby cone. It will let the pump dry out to fast when coming out of the water. The stock one might work out better since it takes up a little room in the pump. The 9/17, stubby cone, bored nozzle combo sucked for me. 13/18 skat swirl, TBM sleeve/cone, bluprinted pump, 650sx nozzle kicks arse though. I was amazed at the difference. Just hang onto your stock cone for a while. Pump tuning changes drastically with higher HP numbers, from your listed mods it seems like your up there a bit more than just the usual mods. Congrats on the Ski, should be a blast. Welcome to your new addiction lol

Addiction is right! Dang, just another thing I need to keep my time tied up, Ski, Kart, Rzr, Quad, Racecar, Rc racing.... WAY to much to do but so much FUN!! ! Thanks for the suggestions on the ski.

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
u can put a SuperJet pole on ur ski, and then u can cut it down to whatever length u want(i already cut 1" off, plus a shortened quick steer turn plate..-2 total). I'm 190, and 6'1", the stock 98sxi pro pole felt too long. just got the SJ pole fitted last week, ill let u know how it goes, and how much more i plan on cutting off it.

ur as bad as me when it comes to hobbies: Standup skis, sit down skis, dirt bikes, street bikes, pit bikes, sand rail, RC cars.....and now i need to sell my 2wd truck and get a 4wd truck(new GMC of course...) to take the sand rail to the sand without getting stuck... lol

Well, I fixed my Sxi Pro by giving it to the wife and bought an 05 SJ with plenty of mods. It is a night and day difference in bottem end performance over the Sxi. Thanks for the help on my Sxi and everything did make it better just no where near the performance of the SJ.

Top Bottom