A Humble Ski Owner!

Okay guys

I am gonna humble myself and ask some questions, I probally wouldnt ask in person due to just plan embarresment. I honestly feel that I need to know the awnsers to these questions though before i will ever be able to truly appreciate the 93 waveblaster I purchased yesterday.

1. What exactly is a pipe? I have been looking over the fourm and I understand it give you better performance., but honestly i know i dont know where it is, what it looks like, or how it creates better performance.

2. Ride Plate? Now to give myself some credit i do know where the ride plate is located on my ski. But what i dont know is the true importance of a good ride place. What makes an aftermarket plate better than my stock one.

3. I took my ski out yesterday for about 10 mins nuthin major. I was afraid to do much on it just cause i dont know the ski all that well. BUT i didnt buy the ski to poke around on i bought it to jump wake and race around the lake. Now if i take my ski out tomorrow and roll it, what happens? Its completely stock. Do i need to buy a seal for the hood? how do i prevent water from coming in? I guess my question is, how durable is the ski?

Okay I have a ton more questions but I will spare all of you the boredom. I appreciate all the help I can get. I bought this ski to pick up a new hobby, not to cruise around the lake on once a month. I plan on working on the ski myself so hopefully I am sure I will come to yall guys a few times over the next few years!

Thanks

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
1. What exactly is a pipe? I have been looking over the fourm and I understand it give you better performance., but honestly i know i dont know where it is, what it looks like, or how it creates better performance.
If you're at the back of the ski looking at the engine, the cylinder (2 cylinders in one block) is in the middle of the engine, the carburetor(s) is on the right, and the exhaust pipe is on the left.
2. Ride Plate? Now to give myself some credit i do know where the ride plate is located on my ski. But what i dont know is the true importance of a good ride place. What makes an aftermarket plate better than my stock one.
That's the main part of the hull that connects the ski to the water, so it plays the biggest part in handling, whether it's loose or sticks in turns, etc.
3. I took my ski out yesterday for about 10 mins nuthin major. I was afraid to do much on it just cause i dont know the ski all that well. BUT i didnt buy the ski to poke around on i bought it to jump wake and race around the lake. Now if i take my ski out tomorrow and roll it, what happens? Its completely stock. Do i need to buy a seal for the hood? how do i prevent water from coming in? I guess my question is, how durable is the ski?
Very durable. There should be a hood seal there already, they all come with them. If it flips, just flip it back over by rolling it clockwise (from rear) and it should start right back up.

Welcome!

Last edited:

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Welcome to the waveblaster! Don't worry at all about rolling it. They're made to play. Just remember to drain it out when you're done riding (or install a bilge pump for added peace of mind)

An aftermarket exhaust pipe will give you better performance by helping the engine breathe better. It's just one of many many aftermarket parts and mods to improve horsepower. There are a lot of pictures on this site you can browse and compare other's engine compartments to your own - should give you an idea what to look at. You can have a lot of fun on a blaster without one, but it does make a huge improvement to horsepower.

My biggest reason to go to an aftermarket ride plate was the length. My plate is about 4 inches longer than the stock one, which helps me because I am a larger rider.

Thanks.

So would you recommend a ride plate or a pipe first? What kind of difference will I notice with either of the mods? Is a pipe something that is easy to install? What type of pipe should I look for? How much am I looking at spending

The Penguin

triple secret probation
Not sure what you're riding - but best thing to do is when asking for recommendations on what to add/modify on your ski, post a brief rundown on what you have and the type of riding you mainly do (surf, flatwater, boat wakes, etc)

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
What he said.

Lots of info in the tech faq: http://www.x-h2o.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

A pipe is pretty high on the tech level requirements list. It requires knowledge of carb tuning, cooling setups, and pipe tuning on some pipes. you're looking at $150-$700 for a 701 blaster. You're also looking at a substantial increase in seat of the pants power feeling.

Rideplates are more of a handling thing and are pretty easy to install.

I would recommend watching the forums for a while and riding the crap out of your blaster. The more you tinker, read, and ride - the more you will become familiar with mods and what they will do for you.

Not sure what you're riding - but best thing to do is when asking for recommendations on what to add/modify on your ski, post a brief rundown on what you have and the type of riding you mainly do (surf, flatwater, boat wakes, etc)

1993 WaveBlaster Stock 701
Riding Type: Boat Wake and eventually Surf down the road

Also have the option's of aftermarket head... (Raising compression) Recreational ofcourse, for pump gas. And theres always your impeller to work with to for more hookup, depending again on what your style/desire for riding it will be. Lots of bolt on goodies you can do, to increase performance.

Last edited:

Conquistador

B-Saw
Site Supporter
If it flips, just flip it back over by rolling it counter-clockwise (from rear) and it should start right back up.

Welcome!

Yes, welcome!

You wan't to roll it over clockwise if it's upside down. This will prevent dumping water into the carb. If it's rightside up and you need to roll it over on it's side or something, then roll it counter-clockwise (from the rear) or exhaust side down. I painted an arrow on the back of my ski to constantly remind me of this. Simple, but it has saved me a couple headaches of clearing water out of a motor this year.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
Stay away from these forums, stay ignorant to what part does what. Leave your ski alone and just ride it and enjoy.

Follow those steps to save time and money and you will live a long stress free life of happiness.

or

If you can't spend money fast enough, or want a focus all your time and energy on something, only to have it not work and make you want to rip your hair out.........welcome to the board.

Check out the Wave Blaster (WB) section:
http://www.x-h2o.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Lots of info here on the site.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Yes, welcome!

You wan't to roll it over clockwise if it's upside down. This will prevent dumping water into the carb. If it's rightside up and you need to roll it over on it's side or something, then roll it counter-clockwise (from the rear) or exhaust side down. I painted an arrow on the back of my ski to constantly remind me of this. Simple, but it has saved me a couple headaches of clearing water out of a motor this year.

Thank's for correcting me, I was backwards. I honestly don't worry about it on my ski, but the proper way is clockwise.

SuziQ

Banned
Stay away from these forums, stay ignorant to what part does what. Leave your ski alone and just ride it and enjoy.

Follow those steps to save time and money and you will live a long stress free life of happiness.

or

If you can't spend money fast enough, or want a focus all your time and energy on something, only to have it not work and make you want to rip your hair out.........welcome to the board.

Check out the Wave Blaster (WB) section:
http://www.x-h2o.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Lots of info here on the site.

"DAYUM!!!!!!!!!

:haha:

it’s funny cause its true!!!" <Yamasaki...a bad boy on this site>

I have a blaster…bone stock except my bilge, choke, steering (turf and paint). I share my skis frequently, and everyone has said they are sweet and can’t believe they are stockers. I’ve barely had issues due to leaving them stock as advised, and when I have (although frustrating to diagnose) it’s never been anything serious or costly.

I’d ride it for a while before changing anything. Try some others skis which are modded when the opportunity arises and see what you think about each ski’s mods.

Also, I just learned what a dampner is, kind of, so don’t feel badly, lol…so many guys on this site don’t know what one is either…they’re just not man enough to admit it!!!! :shhh:

Top Bottom