a loop in the bilge line?good or bad?

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
but a loop keeps out water from coming back in the bilge outlet.
6 inches of hose is negligable back pressure- do it!

sorry but i dont really get the picture here. A circle to stop water going backwards or something? Could someone post up a pic?
Similar application...

If the pressure stops, the water only comes back to the loop.

Attachments

• airide007.jpg
    airide007.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 138
Y

yamaslut

I would say it's a good idea....
might not ever need it, but why not...

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
I wouldn't care. If you are submersing your ski you will be hitting the bilge anyways either before or after your trick. Loop or not, you will only take on a minimal amount of water through the bilge line, which will be pumped out seconds later.

I'd rather have a direct line to get water out quicker (although the difference here is minimal too)

Doesn't matter, whatever you want. My bilge has no loop. Less hose in bilge compartment, looks cleaner

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
If you are submersing your ski you will be hitting the bilge anyways either before or after your trick. Loop or not, you will only take on a minimal amount of water through the bilge line, which will be pumped out seconds later.

I think the purpose would be if you're letting the ski float for a few mins, it would reduce the amount of water while sitting. Water isn't going to backflow through the bilge while riding.

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
If its your bilge pump line.....A to B no loop
If your reffering to a siphon line.......leave loop

Turn pump on when you hit the water, them of when you leave...run them 100% of riding time

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
it doesnt seem to pump that strong at all.i put a new pump in also.do you think i should leave the loop?

Do you think there's a need to reduce the back flow of water into the ski through the bilge? There's your answer.

You probably shouldn't be leaving your ski floating for any length of time anyway. Just look at it floating in the water. If the bilge hole is out of the water, then the water isn't going to go in through it, and if your riding out hard enough that water will get in through that hole, you'll probably have the bilge on for other reasons anyway.

I sit in the tray of my SX, with the entire back end under water, the hood seal half below the water and the bilge outlet bobbing in and out. I may take on a half gallon of water over 5 mins, and the bilge gets it out in 5 seconds. Persoanlly, I'd run a straight line, and just be concious of the fact that stand ups sink.

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
Since we ride lakes a lot, we often take a short break between wake chasing. When you're hanging out, +/- sitting on the back of your ski, your bilge line will take on water unless the hose loops up above the level of the bilge outlet. It doesn't have to be a circular loop, just rise like an upside down "P" trap. It's to break any siphon that might get started from the outside, in. No loop means a 3/4" or 1" hose running water straight into your bilge.

Obviously surf guys are much less likely to sit and hang out on their boats, but if you ride on a lake and ever do this, I would suggest adding just 2-3 inches to your bilge hose and adding a small safety factor.

JMHO

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
I think the purpose would be if you're letting the ski float for a few mins, it would reduce the amount of water while sitting. Water isn't going to backflow through the bilge while riding.

Who's bilge outlet is below the waterline when the ski is sitting?

And if you are talking about the left over water in the bilge line, come on dude, thats a few ounces were talking about.

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
Who's bilge outlet is below the waterline when the ski is sitting?

And if you are talking about the left over water in the bilge line, come on dude, thats a few ounces were talking about.

Why would water be coming in through the bilge outlet anyway....Usually they are installed above the water level:wink:

Top Bottom