Other A lot of new companies, what's up with the undercutting?

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Just gotta Say:

Even if I pay a bit more for a part (hasn't happened yet) , I would still buy it from the guy I trust rather than a stranger on the interweb.

The cost is less over time.

whoever he is referring to will still be there. i recently did a venture into online performance sales. the people that sell cheap will get the sale. plain and simple and if it's below msrp they just say they are doing something different so they don't have to abide by map pricing. needless to say 3 months is all it took for me to realize how :):):):)ty customers have become and shut down shop. if someone is killing your price because you had the monopoly on something. figure out a way around it or you will be out of business.

kraqus

Site Supporter
My last enhancer lasted 45 minutes, so you're good for at least one tank of riding if you bought two! Score!

Thankfully I bought it from Riva and they took it back and refunded my money. So I had that goin for me, which was nice.

The part does come with a one year warranty from MSD from the date of purchase.
Ok, so I will have to deal with MSD instead.....is that really that bad?

Benny

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I needed an MSD enhancer so I started to look for one.
ALL your "Known" Jetski companies were selling them for over $350

I found this site:
http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/msd-4253/

$282 and FREE Shipping? What?

And it gets better, here you have a 10% OFF your order:
http://www.cheaperseeker.com/sem/St...side +coupon&gclid=CL7frpOQs64CFQ1chwodsFjVSg

That's $254 out the door and delivered to my my house....
Guess what? I GOT 2 of them at that price! Boyaah!

Can you blame me for wanting to save moola?
What kind of deal MSD gave this business that he can "afford" to sell them so cheap?
Is that Fair to the other "known" watercraft businesses?

MSD, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Benny

Don't confuse "known" parts sellers with sellers that you've developed a relationship with.
And yes, there is always a better deal out there.
My MSD cost a few bucks more than yours. And it works.

steve-uk

Manners cost nothing
in most cases the first point of contact for warranty is where you purchased the part, thats why the dealer is set up, if all tech questions and issues go back to the manufacturer.. why does he need the dealer

kraqus

Site Supporter
in most cases the first point of contact for warranty is where you purchased the part, thats why the dealer is set up, if all tech questions and issues go back to the manufacturer.. why does he need the dealer

To sell? :dunno:

BTW, my story was just to give some perspective. My Purchase gave me an almost $200 in saving....guess what....I will be calling Cold-Fusion soon....I got a few things I would like to get now :)

Benny

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
I needed an MSD enhancer so I started to look for one.
ALL your "Known" Jetski companies were selling them for over $350

I found this site:
http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/msd-4253/

$282 and FREE Shipping? What?

And it gets better, here you have a 10% OFF your order:
http://www.cheaperseeker.com/sem/St...side +coupon&gclid=CL7frpOQs64CFQ1chwodsFjVSg

That's $254 out the door and delivered to my my house....
Guess what? I GOT 2 of them at that price! Boyaah!

Can you blame me for wanting to save moola?
What kind of deal MSD gave this business that he can "afford" to sell them so cheap?
Is that Fair to the other "known" watercraft businesses?

MSD, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Benny

You guys would chit your pants if you knew what I could get into MSD product for. Same goes for Wiseco, one of the benefits of working where I do. I could easily be turning these products for a substantial profit that no one on here could compete with (at least from the prices I've seen advertised) but peddling new PWC products isn't how I make my money. I will take advantage of it for my personal use and that is as far as it will go.

My brother owns a motorsports business that opened in 2000. Our policy was we would match or beat any advertised price. It got to the point where some online specials, specifically ATV tire and wheel kits were priced so cheaply what we couldn't even get the same product to our store for what the big online retailer would sell them shipped for. It's a b!tch, but customer service and knowledge will always have it's place.

EDIT: I no longer work with my brother, that was just an example of the "honest" business guy getting undercut.

Last edited:
You guys would chit your pants if you knew what I could get into MSD product for. Same goes for Wiseco, one of the benefits of working where I do. I could easily be turning these products for a substantial profit that no one on here could compete with (at least from the prices I've seen advertised) but peddling new PWC products isn't how I make my money. I will take advantage of it for my personal use and that is as far as it will go.

My brother owns a motorsports business that opened in 2000. Our policy was we would match or beat any advertised price. It got to the point where some online specials, specifically ATV tire and wheel kits were priced so cheaply what we couldn't even get the same product to our store for what the big online retailer would sell them shipped for. It's a b!tch, but customer service and knowledge will always have it's place.

check your msd pricing now. it's not so great. they raised it again. wiseco's aren't priced bad.

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
check your msd pricing now. it's not so great. they raised it again. wiseco's aren't priced bad.

We're not talking dealer cost here. Specific prices aren't what maters. Having some ethics and not being out to make a cheap buck was the point I was trying to make.

used to run a lot of the r/c cars when i was a teenager and the shops always had terrible customer service, pretty much pushed me out of the hobby. bought my first ski when i was 18 (2 and a half years ago) started off buying used parts because it was so much cheaper but there was always one or two little things wrong with the part and id be on here for a couple days figuring out what to do and how to fix it. Finally decided no more used parts and called watcon (probably the first time actually calling a business rather than ordering over the internet) to get my first new parts. will try to never buy used parts again. talking to someone over the phone and asking about the part was so much better than gambling on cheaper prices.
As far as my local kawi dealership goes... I ride in a lake nearby my main residence and i also ride in the surf/bay on weekends. At the lake, the kawi dealer owns the ramp I drop in at. I can pretty much only get my two stroke oil from them. I've gone in asking if they have a base gasket for a mikuni 44 and the guy looked at me like i was speaking a foreign language.
So personally, i think you need to find the 3 or 4 businesses that work for you and stick with them because if you don't give them you're business now they may not be around for you later. If customer service isn't something you need then so be it...

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
We're not talking dealer cost here. Specific prices aren't what maters. Having some ethics and not being out to make a cheap buck was the point I was trying to make.

Ack!
Dude! Whether it was your intent or not...
Ethics are part of success.
It is generally not a successful business plan to "buy high and sell low".
If you expect folks to sell you stuff without making a profit......duh...
Even if it's "used parts" , there is some serious labor involved in making those parts sellable.

Even if it's "used parts" , there is some serious labor involved in making those parts sellable.
There's a lot of people on this forum and probably even on this thread who aren't putting serious labor into the used parts their selling. They find cheaper stuff on craigslist or something, and part it out. A lot of the simple mechnical things are fine to do that with. but unless you take apart an engine or at very little test it out you have no idea what condition it could be in.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Ack!
Dude! Whether it was your intent or not...
Ethics are part of success.
It is generally not a successful business plan to "buy high and sell low".
If you expect folks to sell you stuff without making a profit......duh...

A lot of people either don't count their time or severely under-estimate their hourly rate.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
used to run a lot of the r/c cars when i was a teenager and the shops always had terrible customer service, pretty much pushed me out of the hobby. bought my first ski when i was 18 (2 and a half years ago) started off buying used parts because it was so much cheaper but there was always one or two little things wrong with the part and id be on here for a couple days figuring out what to do and how to fix it. Finally decided no more used parts and called watcon (probably the first time actually calling a business rather than ordering over the internet) to get my first new parts. will try to never buy used parts again. talking to someone over the phone and asking about the part was so much better than gambling on cheaper prices.
As far as my local kawi dealership goes... I ride in a lake nearby my main residence and i also ride in the surf/bay on weekends. At the lake, the kawi dealer owns the ramp I drop in at. I can pretty much only get my two stroke oil from them. I've gone in asking if they have a base gasket for a mikuni 44 and the guy looked at me like i was speaking a foreign language.
So personally, i think you need to find the 3 or 4 businesses that work for you and stick with them because if you don't give them you're business now they may not be around for you later. If customer service isn't something you need then so be it...

Buying good used parts is easy, stick with reputable sellers , IE John Zigler, Prick of Misery,Hardcore,Seymore, these guys deliver good used part as described, if there is ever a problem they take care of it. I will deal with an unknown person for parts for my personal ski and take the assumed risk involved , on customers skis I will deal with reputable business people and know without a doubt that I am getting the parts I need.

Every time I buy a new jet ski I pay under msrp. Im not going to really get into it here I havent been around long enough if it were the other site that would be be another story. I'm not saying its right or wrong but this wil not hurt the sport when most people need information he turn to this site not the place they buy parts from. And I really don't think dag was asking for your help because u are a dealer. But because you are a fellow rider and site user.

skinnyman

YOU CANT RENT MY SKI
The reason I buy from the big dogs
I have spent some seriuos cash in the 3 yrs on skis (AM hulls,pumps ,poles ,Motors etc.)
Recently hung a ring in Daytona Gave the motor back to the builder who looked at it Then sent it back to the manufacture (cracked sleeve)
THEY REBUILT IT UNDER WARRANTY this is the first time in 25 yrs of riding that not one company but two stepped up and did the right thing.No BS on who's at fault No half azz
rebuild, full deal no charge to me Not oh well sorry we will provide the labor you buy the parts.No shipping not a dime out of my pocket and the turn around was reasonable.
Just sayin support the Co and they will support you.
A Big Thank you to both Co. You earned my buisness before this with coustomer service and fair priceing.Now it would be just wrong for me to shop anywhere else.

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
When you get used parts, once in a while the part you get may not be working. I've had that happen even when buying from the most reputable sellers, its the nature of the beast, at the same time that seller quickly took care of the issue, which is all you can ask of a vendor of used parts. I work in an auto repair shop and there is an occasion where even new parts we get are defective, let alone reman. parts. You have to be open minded and as long as the seller of the products makes every attempt to get things resolved for you, what more can you ask?

I very much love to hear that Skinnyman! It is awesome when companies step up and take care of you when things dont go well. If everyone did the same, I think our niche sport would grow even faster instead of some people having a bad experience and giving it up. I also can tell that Dan has been burned by a few parts sellers the past year, and sadly that happens too. I try and believe that in life people are inherently good and given the opportunity they will tend to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom