SXR a.m waterbox on a stock sxr any advantages?

I'm thinking of getting a tbr waterbox for my sxr. The motors all stock except for a timing advance plug. I also have a a.m prop. My goal it to try to eliminate the lowend bog on the ski. Withing the next year I want to put a motor together with a lighten flywheel, milled head, and a few other light mods and shelf my stock block. My question is until then will I notice any advantages on the stock motor?

Ski will probably be slower. Little do people know that almost all of the pro race sxrs (twins) used stock water boxes. Unless you have 1200 triple or a 160hp twin forget it. All u will do is piss people off

Nope all sxrs are dogs at low end. Both of mine were thst way along with the other guys that I ride with. Once the water box gets cleared out it takes off. There are some ways you can keep your waterbox somewhat clear at low rpms I thought that the am box would do the same.

U can dry up the pipe with water diverting and or jetworks valve. I know race stock skis hit hard off line. Again it's your setup it can be improved. Dry it up at low rpm

Last edited:

Its all about the surf!
Nope all sxrs are dogs at low end. Both of mine were thst way along with the other guys that I ride with. Once the water box gets cleared out it takes off. There are some ways you can keep your waterbox somewhat clear at low rpms I thought that the am box would do the same.

What do you consider being a dog? My (OEM Never been messed with)SXR hits hard from the bottom through the entire power band. Keep in mind an SXR is a bigger, heavier ski, so its not going to feel "Light". Try the Jetworks valve if you want to dry up your water box

All stock sxrs have a slight delay in throttle response even yours. Once the box clears out all is good.
That's why they lift the back end of the skis out of the water at the beginning of races. I know a stock motor isn't going to hit hard. Ride a sxr that's dual cooled and you'll kniw what I'm talking about.

Its all about the surf!
All stock sxrs have a slight delay in throttle response even yours. Once the box clears out all is good.
That's why they lift the back end of the skis out of the water at the beginning of races. I know a stock motor isn't going to hit hard. Ride a sxr that's dual cooled and you'll kniw what I'm talking about.

All skis (Not just SXR's) will bog with a full waterbox. Having your water box fill up with water at low RPMs has nothing to do with what type of water box your running, its about how your cooling water is routed. Minimizing low RPM water buildup into the water box is exactly what the Jetworks valve was designed to do.

Last edited:
Like I said try one that has a flow control that restricts water into the box at low r's its night and day and you'll notice it once you jump back on yours. It has nothing it has with the carbs.

Top Bottom