ADA head install

douglee25

m3booooy
That's surprising. I'm curious if you are using OEM head bolts, or just plain stainless. Most Ace/HD grade stainless is not designed for torquing too much. The nickel plated OEM bolts will have no problem handling this torque.

My builder recommends 20 on the head bolts and 36 on the girdle bolts:
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/4340

I even used bolts from another engine just in case there was a bad batch in the engine I was running. I still managed to break one from that other engine. Are there bolts that can be purchased other than OEM that will suit the job?

Doug

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I'm not saying that this is what happened to you, breaking bolts. But I've broken bolts as well and it was my own fault for not properly cleaning female threads. You will never achieve proper torque if the threads are full of old lock-tite and salt. The bolt will break.
Just some personal experience .02!

Whats the best way to clean the female threads? Would WD-40 and Q-tips work? Should I use lock-tite on the bolts, studs, and brass cooling fittings and if so what color? The end of the studs with the most thread goes into the case correct? Thanks!

easyrhino

needs more cowbell.
I used the girdle head but not the girdle kit on the stocker. I had already striped some cylinder threads and I was freak'n on messing with the case thread. 20 on the head bolts. Yama's cast aluminum is kind of cheesy. And that's why ya need the girdle kit if you mod.

Last edited:
you guys are breaking bolts!? rather than stripping the ally threads? surely something isn't right there.......

Studs Kawi style all the way for me........

Top Bottom