Other Adjustable holds vs. Adjustable pole

I hope I can convey my question properly...

For those that have adjustable footholds...(other than height and angle), Do u find yourself keeping them in the same general position as the general placed static footholds?

I am asking because I just picked up an adjustable pole that will be run with static footholds...I also have a spare hull that I am building with BOB adjustable holds. I eventually will run the x-metal pole on this setup if I ever get it completed.

I started wondering how much of your position is coming from pole length vs. the adjustable holds.

Do you feel the height/angle adjustment on the adjustable holds
is worth having?

Does it make you feel that much more comfy or would standard holds do the trick?

Were you surprised that you actually run more forward OR more to the rear than general placed static holds?

I guess I am trying to figure out if most people find that they keep the adj holds in the standard place and get most of their positioning from pole adjustment.

I know it's a very broad question b/c everyone is different and each hull rides differently, holds are different, steering systems vary, bars, risers, etc...

It was on the brain + I was bored= A question that probably can't be answered...ha!

Hope it makes some sense.

Thanks.

This is where ive got mine glassed in how ever havent riden theme yet im running xmetal adjustable pole. Ive stood in the tray with my pole on its a lil akward feeling to me, this will b my first time trying with lowered handle pole bracket,ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354825784.258809.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine are a little more far forward than those...I figured from the past, I will want to move forward instead of back...I still have one of choices where the standard setting seems to be...I am making a lowered tray as well so the molds didn't really work for me + i have swooped gunwhales cause it's a WCF top.

Thanks for the input.

why can't they just make a ski with full length adjustable footholds? my opinion is that your foothold placement is dictated by the ski balance. a heavier rider on a rickter will have to lean more forward vs. a sj or an sxr to keep the aggressive stance and the nose down. in theory a 150 lbs soaking wet short rider could have his foothold all the way back on an EVO 1 and nose would probably be fine. my solution is to just make custom full length footholds like in my america ski build. -- http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/97521-MattSmith-America-Ski-SJ-Build thoughts?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
why can't they just make a ski with full length adjustable footholds?

Footrocket adjustment seems pretty close to full length.

IMHO, pole adjustment and hold adjustment are related, but not the same - you can't achieve the same result by adjusting the pole instead of the holds.

steve-uk

Manners cost nothing
alot of people will argue that once you have adjusted these then you wont adust them again, i like the ability to be able to adjust wether you will constantly do it or not is a none subject compared to having teh ability to do it.

on my next build i will have an adjustable pole and im hoping adjustabe footholds

talking of adjustment, considering we all like to tune and adjust and understand the importance of a dialed in ski, from the powertrain through to handling, amazes me that everyone doesnt run the adjustable intake grate

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
either way u just gotta ride it to find the right position. my ski sitting on the ground with the pole fully extended, my adjustable steering all the way out, an with my feet in the holds feels like it would be impossible to ride cause im so leaned forward. but after tinkerin with it in the water i got my pole at -5 an steering as far forward as it goes an it handles an turns great. dont run adjustable holds but im sure as long as ur foots not comin out u can adjust the pole an find that sweet spot

onlyFX-1

Jace Forest...BRAP!
It's all about tuning the ski to you. Finding the right balance point between the placement of the holds and the length of the pole. I spent a lot of time on my BOB find where the holds needed to be and the pole length. I'd put the holds all the way to the back and extend the pole all the way out, go out and try a flip, come back in move the pole in a 1'', go out and try a flip again, and keep working the pole all the way in. Then move the holds to the middle and do the same routine with the pole until I found what worked for me the best.
After I found the position of both the holds and the pole that worked the best for me I never touched them again

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
also i think the adjustable holds would be great cuz i got 25 mill padding in my tray an 8 mill padding on the top of my hold sanded down to fit my foot nice an snug with a wrestling shoe on. but when i put on a neoprene sock an a bigger shoe for cold riding i really gotta kick it in there. would rather be able to adjust it for those reasons

It's all about tuning the ski to you. Finding the right balance point between the placement of the holds and the length of the pole. I spent a lot of time on my BOB find where the holds needed to be and the pole length. I'd put the holds all the way to the back and extend the pole all the way out, go out and try a flip, come back in move the pole in a 1'', go out and try a flip again, and keep working the pole all the way in. Then move the holds to the middle and do the same routine with the pole until I found what worked for me the best.
After I found the position of both the holds and the pole that worked the best for me I never touched them again

I was hoping I could find my zen through pole/steering setup but I will be doing the same thing as above...less the flips

Its all about the surf!
This is where ive got mine glassed in how ever havent riden theme yet im running xmetal adjustable pole. Ive stood in the tray with my pole on its a lil akward feeling to me, this will b my first time trying with lowered handle pole bracket,View attachment 204198

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest problem I can see with the adjustable footholds like the one pictured is that in order to set it up almost all the floatation foam has to be removed the sides of the tray. And when this set up is used in conjunctoion with an RRP pole which also doesn't have any foam in it, then your just asking for trouble. I can just see a fifth "How to recover a sunk ski" thread in the works. IMO Probably better to go the route Matt Smith did and put in the full tray length holds.

the MattSmith full length foot hold is amazing i did them on my sn and its crazy how much room you feel like you have gained. i wish i would have angled mine up at the back more similar to this on the left

20121001_161028.jpg

Its all about the surf!
The problem is the AMOUNT of foam that has to be removed in order to make the adjustable foothold system work. When ever your remove foam you must REPLACE an equal amount in another area of the ski. When Yamaha designed the ski in the first place, they calculated the minimum amount of foam needed to keep the ski floating at the surface should it become engulfed (engine comp) in water. When people mod there skis by removing any foam, you compromise this safety feature and risk having your ski sink altogether. Even though you have foam in the bottom of the tray, more is needed to keep the ski at the surface should it sink. I doubt you can fit an equal amount of foam that has been removed from the gunnels atop your fuel tank. Tanner installed the same adjustable footholds in his ski, and had foam in the bottom of his ski also, and sadly that beautiful ski currently resides at the bottom of Davy Jones Locker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom