SXR Adjustment of SX-R Wet pipe Not clean bottom-end ( miss the pop )

Hi :)

Just startet run in my SXR after a major build.

I cant figure out why it doesnt take the same RPM as stock exhaust.

In the bottom the ski is a bit "slower" to hit the gas compared to the stock exhaust.

Ass soon as the rpm raises it is fast as hell! i just thourght i wouldnt loose so much bottomend.

How does you SXR with pipe act next to the stock exhaust in the low end. And we are talking about from idle to 1000-2000rpm.

My engine is this:
SXR stock bore
R&D top end
Factory Wet Pipe
Protec Water controller
6" timing advance
R&D flamearrestor

Se the video*s of it yesterday here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wztWMB3AkrU&fb_action_ids=10151504353519367&fb_action_types=yt-fb-app%3Aupload&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={%2210151504353519367%22%3A451896328214570}&action_type_map={%2210151504353519367%22%3A%22yt-fb-app%3Aupload%22}&action_ref_map=[]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh6jbxoK7Ek&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
You're gonna just have to try different settings. I run 3/4 top-middle closed-bottom 1/8. That's on a heavy ported billet P/V motor and found it to be to my liking. I don't think that the middle should be used at all, try reverseing top and bottom settings since they seem to have the most effect. Good luck,you'll find the sweet spot

I've tried that and other settings. What i ended up with was what I ran. Thats what I'm sayin,try different settings and find what works for you OP. Swanny are you running the restrictor jet in stinger and flow control? Thats how I ran mine for awhile,ended up taking flow control off.

What prop you running? What else did you change when you added the pipe? These settings are for 'tuning' your pipe to your specific set up and for what kind of riding you do. Seems like something else is going on other than head pipe screw settings. What jets you running in the carb and what needle and seat/spring combination.

swannysxr

Site Supporter
I've tried that and other settings. What i ended up with was what I ran. Thats what I'm sayin,try different settings and find what works for you OP. Swanny are you running the restrictor jet in stinger and flow control? Thats how I ran mine for awhile,ended up taking flow control off.
Yes I ran the restrictor jet, and the flow control valve, with no probs for 6years.

The complete setup after the build is this:
My engine is this:
SXR stock bore
R&D top end
Factory Wet Pipe
Protec Water controller
6" timing advance
R&D flamearrestor

Hull:
Umi Steering
Blowsion Tubbies
TBM grate
Carbon Rideplate
Blowsion Footholds
Hootstraps
Stock Prop ( new )
Bored Exit nozzle
Bored Nozzle

---

The setup i whant is to be clean throttlerespons, no "dead" areas.
it's an everyday jetski, ride it all year.

Silly me, I assumed he had made carb adjustments prior to this ? You guys are right,water screw adjustment isnt gonna compensate for poor carburation. OP update on your carburation?

Very well could be jetting.
Water screw settings are dependent on to many variables to take setting from one ski to another . Water temp , water pressure , water routing etc. Colder the water the less you need going through the hole.

Very well could be jetting.
Water screw settings are dependent on to many variables to take setting from one ski to another . Water temp , water pressure , water routing etc. Colder the water the less you need going through the hole.
could you tell me legDragger64,i change my cooling hose this winter, i made one more longer to make it sano,does it affects the pipe setting,or the leight of the hose dont have any effect?

Octane_114

LeT tHe gOOd tImEs RoLL
i'm thinking it could be jetting as well . factory pipe gives you a safe starting point. it's great i run it on my wife's sxr, i changed to 2.0n/s and pro-k filters, throttle response is better. run the chamber warm, (they like it, they where designed to run a little hot) until you get i correct as long as you make a couple short test runs and come back to sore you shouldn't burn any thing up. when you had it down you should have had you stock box drilled.

did you adjust your carb screws as the instructions say?

Last edited:
Get that pipe HOT, when I ran a wet pipe I ran the top at 1/4 and everything else closed and it hauled the mail.

Before worrying about water screw I would make sure you have a proper carb tune....FP jetting specs were on the conservative (rich) side for my setup

If you didn't change your jetting and N&S when you put that R&D flame arrestor on, it is never going to run right. Put the stock airbox back on or fix the jetting in the carbs.

I prefer the stock airbox myself-- much better at keeping the water out.

Octane_114

LeT tHe gOOd tImEs RoLL
SX-R 800 Wet Pipe
Jetting Specifications
Main jet: 152.5 front, 152.5 rear
Pilot Jet: 80
High-speed screw: 1/2 turn out from closed
Low speeds screw: 1.0 turn out from closed
Needle: Stock
Spring: Stock
Note: Stock compression & timing +6 degrees
Remove the rubber trumpets from each end of
the air box or use aftermarket flame arrestors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom