Advice thinkink of sanding back the chines on my 09 superjet

Has anyone thought of sanding back the chines on the 08/09 hull to get it slide easier.

I had my ski besides CAMBO and the thought popped into my head and just by looking at the difference the 08/09 chines are about 5mm to 10mm longer.

Question is there enough materiel/Glass on the chine to gring back about 3mm this will help the ski to slide (well i hope it does) they are so much deeper compared to the older hulls.

Looking for positive feedback Cambo though the set back pump might be an issue as well from preventing to slide easy this could be a cause as well.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Be sure and run the OEM intake grate, thats what Mike Serlin told me they are all doing since they hook fine.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I have no problem getting my '08 to break free, it took a while to get it consistent but its second nature now. I notched my bracket to get a level nozzle but hatted it so its back to the stock angle now. I have no experience with the pre 2008 skis and can hardly ride my girlfriends. It just takes time to feel it out... I used to think my 1991 650sx handled way better than my '08, I don't know what I was thinking.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
Don't know how long you have been ridding the new hull, but it takes some time to get used to. There a 4 guys with 08's in our group and they can slide them pretty well, but I can't when I hop on. All they guys were initially upset that it didn't slide easily, but now they say it is just a matter of learning how to do it.

All running stock intake and ride plate, as Crab mentioned.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
True, I have my stock plate and intake grate still; I feel no need to change them as they work plenty well for me. I have notived some hairline cracks around the rear mounts on my stock plate though.

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
cut your ride plate flush to the hull and also cut out a d-cut in it. I noticed a big difference when I did this mod and made the o8 much more playfull.

cut your ride plate flush to the hull and also cut out a d-cut in it. I noticed a big difference when I did this mod and made the o8 much more playfull.

Hi Mike,

I have a 08 plate I've modded for a mate infront of me right now that has had the above done to it we will be trying on a gary watson hull and maybe an 08 tomorrow I'll let you know how it goes.

Matty

I have to admit i have not been riding long an yes the ski does slide once you know how to do it and they slide veryt nice but its not easy to do all the time.

Ride plate has been cut flush to teh hull running a stock grate in the surf is not fun at all.

If your surf/free riding you need the ski to be able to slide/cut the top of the waves its not that easy with a new hull compared the the prev models. At that what i am trying to archieve here.

I would of thought the chine is full of glass not hollow thats why i was thinking of cutting it back 3mm with a plane saw.

Has anyoen got a pic of a ski cut in half to see i the chines and full or hollow.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
the biggest mod to get my 08 to slide easier was switching back to a pre 08 handlepole and steering cable. the stock 08 cable has almost half the throw as the older one. It took me a long time to get my 08 to slash well in the surf, but now i couldnt go back. dont even think about cutting those chines. you might as well just pick up an older hull instead.

the biggest mod to get my 08 to slide easier was switching back to a pre 08 handlepole and steering cable. the stock 08 cable has almost half the throw as the older one. It took me a long time to get my 08 to slash well in the surf, but now i couldnt go back. dont even think about cutting those chines. you might as well just pick up an older hull instead.

I concur. I couldn't get my 08 to slide at all. Then I changed out the the cable put on a dick roy pole and xmetal steering plate. Its like skiing on butter!!!!

Its all about the surf!
Don't even think about sanding those chines, thats not the way to fix your problems. When Ross first picked up his we talked about filling the valleys with expanding foam and shaping them similar to a pre 08 hull instead of sanding the chines, however we never ended up doing it. As previously mentioned by Mike and Eddie, They, as well as Ross and Jake have all got used to the 08's handleing with out grinding away at their hulls.

ItsRixter

SoCal Wav Jumping shiznit
I only rode my 09 three times before I got the hang of breaking it free. Like Mike said you have to get a pre 08 pole and cable.

Hey Mike,

sorry mate forgot all about this thread, old mate ended up preferring the flush cut over the flush d-cut, the d-cut was to loose for him but that was on a GW 08 shape hull.

Matty

When i changed my WORX 228 grate to a WORX 205 grate teh difference was night a day and had a few guys ride teh ski with telling them the change i made and they could believe the difference.

Top Bottom