All electric PWC goes 50 mph

I dont like being ECO friendly. I like the smell of race fuel and Castor mix.

My ski is electric powerd, which then the lil electric motor starts my fossil fuel motor.

The ski in that video isnt NEW either. It looks like a Honda.

LMAO! ya i saw that same hull getting gas yesturday on the lake... honda? :veryhappy:

ger87410

How did I get here?
I just watched the video. It does look like a honda.

It looks, to me, like a wimpy ride. The takeoff was extremely slow. The speed (for a couch) was totally unimpressive. The handling looked sub par. The craft looked like it was heavier then it's gas counterpart.

My '92 XP is more impressive then that thing.

Speleopower

got a Superjet
Gotta say an all electric ski would be good. Especially in the surf. All sealed up with maybe a water jacket around the motor, batteries and speed control for cooling.

Some of the new lithium polymer 40C discharge cells would be up to the task of powering a ski for a while. Problem is run time. The electric motor and speed controller really isn't a problem it's the batteries to support the amp draw of the motor that is the problem.

I fly model airplanes and some of our electric fan powered jets are running at near 200mph and sometimes a little over reliabily. The gas powered fan jets ould get up to high speed but they broke down all the time.

Scott

One thing that I would be worried about if the amount of pollution that would go into the lake if one of these units crashed into a boat. . .or another electric PWC. what would come out of the batteries would be far far worse then what would come out of a conventional gas motor. . .i dunno i also just don't trust a bunch of volts of electricity under my a$$ while I am soaking wet and floating on a lake. . .. .

90% of the electricity in my area is generated by burning coal.

They need to qualify that "absolutely zero emissions" statement.

In my area that jetski would be zero emissions :) I've always thought a boat that was covered in solar panels and electric would be kickass. You could jet out real far to a great fishing spot, float a few hours while fishing (and charging up) then shoot back to town.

A quiet standup jetski would be very weird though. I like the brap sound.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
I didn't read anything from their site. How long does a charge take compared to dumping a 5 of mix in? And how long do I have to run my "fossil fuel" generator at the lake to recharge it? Not trying to bash at all. Glad it is at least in development. I'm sure there will be applications for it. Lead and acid in the water gives me the willies too. Bring on the innovation.

In order to get the charge density they would need, I think they've GOT to be using lithium-ion (laptop) batteries or lithium polymer packs. I ran across li-po first in the r/c airplane hobby...a really small pack can put out 90 amps continuous without breaking a sweat. But, they are just packaged in heavy aluminum-coated foil bags....and lithium HATES water. If that is what they are using, that electro-couch is a freaking bomb waiting to happen.

this is what happens when lithum hits water. . .and this is just a small sample... imagine how much would be in all ther batteries that would be needed for this it, if it is run by lithium Ion. . . . alkiline earth metals don't mix with water well
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhW7TtXIAM&feature=related"]YouTube - Lithium and Water[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55kgyApYrY&feature=related"]YouTube - Brainiac Alkali Metals[/ame]
here is another that explains why to kneep Alkali metals away from water!!

steve-uk

Manners cost nothing
that was just weird to watch.. a ski with no noise.. thats half the fun of a ski...:brap:

id say :fing02: for effort....

.. but :thumbsdown: for delivery

but.. this is what the governator wants..... right :rant:

Electric power/weight potential is a little better than gasoline. We know that it takes about 1kw in to get 1HP out of a motor. You could replace your 100HP gasoline engine with an equal power and weight of electric motor/batteries very easily. You will get only 3-6 minutes of operation with affordable batteries.

kraqus

Site Supporter
There are many tiny steps and for every major break through. These guys are just one of the steps to something much bigger. It really doesn't matter if it works or not, they are part of a process.

I am with you on this one. If it wasn't for some Brave and innovative men, we'll still be afraid of sailing into the Horizon....LMAO!
Seriously, with the EnviroNAZIS taking over the world, we have to look for alternatives.

Please watch this video.

Kudos to that guy !!
Does anyone see the Potential here? 150 lb? I know the thing is ugly as hell but it almost resembles a stand up, just add a pole and shrink the tray. I think the fellas at Trinity Composites need to talk to this guy and come up with a better design.

Kraqus

Last edited by a moderator:

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
Also don't forget a huge power plant producing electricity from coal is very efficient. An electric car (or watercraft in this situ) is still much cleaner running on 100% coal produced electricity than a gas powered counterpart. A lithium battery powered ski is going to help weight a bunch but its still going to be on the heavy side of things. They will get there eventually. It should make things much more reliable too you wont need a start/stop button, no coil or starter or cdi, no exhaust and you might not even need a cooling system. Not to mention the chance of sinking a ski will be pretty much gone.

spork

down with the sickness
Love the idea and find it hard to believe they can't scale up r/c technology to be used elsewhere for reasonable prices. Also they "designers" of the electric watercraft have done no more than use existing technology in a different application. It's not like they reinvented the wheel. By the way if somebody wants to give me a ton of money i'd be glad to build them an electric ski :bananapowerslide:

Top Bottom