Another Turf Question

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Wondering if there is a prefered or "best" order to turf. I have all surfaces (both sides, tray, and front panel) to do and am using some 20mm underpadding. What order should I lay the panels in, or does it matter?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I have done both, if you do the bottom first then the sides, it covers up any gapping where the turf may shrink or if you cut it a tad short. But, it makes it harder to trim the sides doing it this way.

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
IMO- doing the sides first, then the front, then the bottom made sense... if you do end up deciding to do the bottom first--> just make sure you are careful when spreading the rubber cement onto the front and sides that you dont drip it all over your nice new bottom turf job.

If you are planning on turfing the rails (the bond-line all the way around the outside)--> try to leave enough "flaps" on either side in the very back to bring ALL THE WAY around the corners ---> Mine ended up stopping right ON the corner which made it kinda hard to connect when I turfed the rails. It ended up looking really good anyways... just took a little more thought when cutting the pieces to match up....

Oh yeah... use a frickin respirator and good ventilation.... or you will suffer bro... weldwood is potent crap... especially if you use a heatgun on it at any time....

Oh... and beer... like tom said :)

Last edited:

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
bottom, front, sides,
IU find if you do bottom first, you can butt the side turf up agaist it making a better prevention of getting water under the bottom piece of turf and raising glue.

If you did bottom last you'd have a direct seem that would expose the tray if not cut 100%.

Beer in between each piece. :smoker: during the whole process.

I started with vodka/cranberry. than one more and another..:tomato: Wow now the dam glue... as i was done about 3am.. hell i have no clue what was first last or between... it's all still in tact.. this last time i helped put my ski in tom21 truck and just drank vodka's:scratchchin:

wamiltons has how also on there web site.. or they did:crazy:

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Seemless sides do not have to be done first. I do 1 piece sides (foothold included) and its no problem doing them after the bottom piece

When you get to the point where you're going to trim the bottom of the sides to mate to the bottom piece, hit it with a paint stick and hammer (chisel like) to drive it in the crevace than cut along the creased line. Done and Sano.

I guess it comes down to how careful you are.

I can see the sides being done first the easiest way to get a clean seem, but you don't have to do it first.

tom21

havin fun
I just hate old turf when it shrinks up and you can see the tray on the sides, so I do the bottom first and the sides cover it so you can't see how awful you cut the bottom or sides when your standing in the tray. that is why I do it that way. slopping glue on anything is not an issue as you should protect any areas that are turfed as soon as its installed with tape and paper.

as was said before - time and care in measuring and cutting and applying is what makes a good turf job, not the order its put down in. clearly as its not mostly done one way or the other. so take your time and if at all possible have someone who has done it before AND did it nice, help you out.

If you do the bottom first then your left with gaps with the padding is scrunched down and/or shrinks.

I do dash first, then sides...... this way you won't have noticable gaps when looking from the back b/c the dash goes wall to wall..... on the sides I leave an extra 2" or so along the bottom of the holds to wrap up inside. Then comes the padding and bottom turf. I've comtemplated using RTV to seal the seams but in the long run it really doesn't matter, if you did a good job glueing it's going to last.

Last thing I did, which turned out nice, was to sand all edges with a sanding pad (or the scotchbrite pad) on air die using a paint scraper to protect the hull. This got rid of the misc. bumps the diamond turf has around the stock padding seams on the tray. It really made a difference on the back due removing that lip for my extra wide tray Rev's.

I'm no Charlie but after my 3rd ski I think my technique is up there.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
i

and use the heat gun!!! The most overlooked tool when turfing. It will turn your turf to butter and allow it to mold and stretch around anything.

That is the trick, get that stuff hot enough and it will form to any contour.

I get it so hot at times I have to wear gloves.

Mark44

Top Bottom