Another UMI Question..?

I have just bought a second hand steering system for my FX1. It is from a SJ but I know it will fit. My questions is that it has came with a rebuild kit (as the bearing is completely fupped) and I cannot get the old bearing out from the bearing cup, oh, just to let you know that I don't have access to a gas torch or anything like that... Any ideas?

Cheers in advance guys.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
If you have a vise you can put a large socket on one side the same size as the cup or just a little larger and on the other side place a socket that will fit through the hole in the cap and onto the edge of the bearing.

Put these in the vise and use it as a press to push the bearing out into the large socket.

Mark44

Thanks Mark but I don't think that will work as it is a Bearing Cup, one side is capped off and only has a smaller hole. As you can see in the Picture below:

284.jpg

This is the bearing and a top view of the cup that it goes into.

Aluminum has almost twice the coefficient of expansion as steel. Heat it! Put it in the oven and set for max temp (usually about 450), saves you from having to buy a torch. If you don't have an oven, build a fire
and heat it that way.

Thanks guys but in the end I ground out the inner casing of the bearing and then used my drimmal to cut a big grove in the outer casing to relieve the pressure. It prctically fell out but it was a long winded process...

Top Bottom