Super Jet Anyone built there own intake grate?

I'm almost done my custom ride plate prototype and hopefully it works so now it's time to build an intake grate. I have a worx grate that I'm going to use for base measurements. I want to make one that has adjustable angles and lengths with scoop lengths. Aftermarket ones are just to expensive and we are slow at work so I have the time. Has anyone else tried to build one?

That air time products still converts to $160 cdn plus shipping. For something so simple why pay up to 200 bucks. Its just two blocks with two countersunk holes in each and a little bit of grinding. Then some flat bar between them. Then three flat bar pieces pressed to have a curve. tack and weld done. The only tough thing to do is to get the angles for mounting correct because they aren't square or parallel to each other. "west77" Yes the shop I work at is dead. We are an international company. 99% of the things we build get shipped to port in Texas then go overseas. I also work nights so when its slow or I get all my work done I build personal projects without getting hassled.

I had to abort this project. Nothing on this worx grate is square. Holes are not concentric or even the same size. I need my hull here sitting upside down I could do it then but working off this grate alone isn't happening. I wonder if Superjet hulls are built square because it fits perfect. It's also making me wonder if this ride plate I built is gonna fit. I just took quick measurements at home.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Building a ride plate is one thing and many have done it. Building an intake grate is quite another and I don't know of anybody that has even attempted it. (Only exception: Kurt of XR Tech and his is cast)

I made one out of steel as a prototype for my superjet, I cut the grate on my CNC plasma and cut out the scoop pieces and welded them in, 1/4" steel. its still on my ski since a year ago it works well, I Just have to pull it off and get it powdercoated. Also, I extended the ride plate, welded a fin on and welded a scoop onto the stock grate of my wavejammer 650 ill post pics

RivMan

doing something stupid...
Site Supporter
My buddy bought a ski with a home made intake grate on it... Didn't last long.

Homemade intake grates FTL....

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

Big gash in the hull....
IMG_1717.JPG

-Rob

i had the same thing happen 10 years ago on an X2. the big fin busted off an R&D grate and grenaded the motor mounts, hull , pump, prop. PJS is a better design with a gusseted fin. mike coe was famous for welding intake grates. he had a welded worx grate on the octane i bought. luckily it didnt go thru the mag pump before i noticed the welds broke and most of it was missing . an intake grate is not something that should be hillbilly hand made unless there is no chance it will go thru the pump. quality construction or forget it.

i made one for my old glass freak, mainly cause i didnt have a grate to put on it at the time, and wanted to go ride the next day. i kinda copied the JD grate i had on another ski. seemed to work good, sold the ski to a friend and he still running it.
attachment.php

Id look into casting.
I was looking into it a while back and it seems pretty easy and cheap to make a home made forge to melt down aluminum.
You can probably build a forge capable of melting enough aluminum for a grate for like $20.
Then the hard part is having/making a mold to pour it in.
You could probably shape one out of styrofoam or wax and just do some cheap investment casting.

Or just do what Madness Maker did a couple posts back, that looks pretty legit.

Building a ride plate is one thing and many have done it. Building an intake grate is quite another and I don't know of anybody that has even attempted it. (Only exception: Kurt of XR Tech and his is cast)
Not sure why the intake grate would be so difficult, honestly could do a pretty sweet one with a welder, angle grinder and drill press in half a day similar to Madness Maker's, and a really sweet adjustable one with manual mill without much more difficulty. That said unless I had a hull that needed a custom length, given the cost of my time (if you have to ask you can't afford me :puke:), $170 for an ATP one is a deal.

Don't really see any reason to cast one unless you were making a few, while you can do castings at home fairly cheap for decorative things, making good quality castings for structural components is a bit more difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom