Other Anyone else Sore after every ride? Getting old sucks! ;)

i just turned 43 but refuse to let my mind think im outa my late 20's, been dealin cts past few years, really sucks when it starts to effect how you ride and many sports u do,i get about 10 mins of going hard in surf on ski,dh biking or mx before my hand(s) are totaly numb and i lose throttle control and need a rest for a few min before i repeat the process,found myself holding throttle wide open on ski and holding on for dear life until i consciously realize im doing it. as far as the sore muscles i found dont stay inactive to long,once you get past the "hump" of soreness you will feel better after each ride,the body adapts amazingly well to what we put it through. i would ride everyday if i could. Fight the old!

(also as far as helping the hand numbing issues, i just went with bars with some sweep and it made a world of improvement for me)

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Sometimes after a long day of surf riding, I can barely get out of bed the next day let alone walk.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
You don't stop playing cause you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

Drink lots of water, take an omega 3 supplement (natures anti-inflammatory) and eat clean.

If that all fails, pop a few blue pills. Aleve that is.

hey no quitting here! and you reside in nchuck?? we have about 4 or so people that ride in chas, we put in at limehouse johns island and hit the sand bar, we need to plan some rides! im in west ash...

OCD Solutions

You must ride with Lytle? Been trying to hook up for a ride but have just been far too busy this year.

Not much of a fan of river riding either when decent surf is just a few hours drive away with far less drunk boaters to worry about.

Yeah we've rode with lytle a few times, his wife just had the baby so he didn't make it last weekend. You should try and make it out. I see you're into sj's. I have a friend that just bought a 750sx with a 701 swap. It runs fine for 10-15 mins then cuts out and won't rev past idle speed or it dies. Any ideas? Stator maybe?

OCD Solutions

Sounds like organ rejection to me. Best change out the pump and hull as well. :biggrin:

Actually sounds more like the head sensor cutting out.

Do you guys ever ride Breach Inlet?

Last edited:

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
46 and still tearin it up and pushing my limits. Yup, get sore the next day although it ain't too bad. I mostly ignore the aches, pain, bumps and bruises. I'm very active, and do other physical things on a consistent basis, this helps, I believe. Broke my ankle and jacked up some ligaments 3 years ago while jetskiing, never the same again, this is my biggest issue! Won't stop me though!

Last edited:
Pushing 38 here. Yeah I rode breach inlet about 6-7 years ago when I had my last skis. Finally scored another this summer. As far as the sj go's I'm not sure if they plumbed the cooling lines wrong. It acts like its kicking in limp lode and limiting the rev limit to like 2-3k is there a ohm test we can do for the temp sensor? I think he said he unplugged it and it still was acting up. Think he said he said the motor feels like its getting hot.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm 31 so not as old as some of guys posting here but I've had a lot of injuries in my life so my body feels way older than that. I often find myself lifting and doing things like a 50+ year old man. Most of the things people complain about I've dealt with and most of them I've overcome so I'll share what has worked for me.

1: Finger numbing or cramping: A lot of this is actually due to your finger throttle position. We all know the handlepole moves but you're in one standard riding position prior to doing a trick or looking for a wave and this is the position you need to tailor your throttle to. Make it so your wrist is in line with your arm and your index finger should be relaxed and slightly curved down on the throttle lever. Your finger needs to be pointing slightly below the same line as your wrist and arm. If your typical glove size is a medium or smaller, you need to be running ruffian grips and not the big thick rogues. Too thick of a grip will kill your hands.

2: Back pain: This one is a little harder to overcome because it requires some modifications to the ski and/or riding style. If your back is on fire after riding, your pole is too short. Your stance and foot position in the tray has a bigger impact than you leaning forward at the waist so don't compensate by shortening the pole if the ski is riding nose high. Move your feet up, ride with the pole at your waist, and leave your entire body forward instead of bending at the waist. Think about leaning into a strong wind and allowing it to hold your body angled to the ground.

3: Blisters: Quit buying mountain bike gloves or jetski gloves which seem to be the same thing as winter mountain bike gloves. Get yourself some nice kevlar waterskiing gloves or at bare minimum some gloves made of Amara. They are more expensive but the extra grip will amaze you and they will last for years instead of half the season. You'll probably have to order them from overtons or another boating store like that because I've never found a nice ski glove at a local store. Most importantly....Waterskiing gloves do NOT fit when they are dry so if they do then they are too big!! I've been waterskiing and jetskiing for 15 years. I just bought my 3rd pair of gloves.

4: Sinuses: I haven't found a good fix for this. If I get water up my nose at any point, I will be wiped out for days. I usually feel like I've got a cold with a runny, stuffy nose, scratchy throat, watery eyes, and absolutely no energy. I've tried nasal sprays, saline flushings, etc etc and none of it works. I used a nose clip last year some and it makes the following days better but also makes the riding less enjoyable so it's a tradeoff.

5: Legs: If you aren't running 1" padding or more, you need to be and don't scallop it out under your feet. Run the full thickness. My legs still hurt some but no where near as much as when I ran less padding or cheap padding.

Last edited:

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
Waternut, good post! I turned 40 last year and I know what you're talking about. Other things that helps me is cross-training. I ride mountainbike, road bikes, inlines and go running. In the winter I hit the gym or go cross country skiing. Stretching before you go out and even after riding will help with soreness. Hydration and nutrition is also a factor. I got some shoes with a good ankle support that also supports my arcs, that helped me a lot since my feet were killing me when jumping (I do use 25 mm padding).

tom21

havin fun
i too am an old fart that refuses to back down. I suffer from the super soreness, lower back ache, and the numb hand. But let me tell you all that is nothing compared to the pull or tear in my right shoulder. pretty scary when you cant lift your elbow above your shoulder without shooting pain. cant put my arm above my head when I sleep either. I am afraid of doctors and mostly pain or pain caused by a doctor or even hearing something bad from a doctor so f that. after about a year it still has some lingering spots I cant move thru but overall I think the tear or whatever is being stretched back out and will eventually be gone but I would rather be the most sore I have ever been for a week or even a month then go thru that again.

now if I could just shed this 10 or 15lb belly that would be somethin!

Lucaumpits

RIDE LIKE U'VE STOLE IT!!
oh man I'm 27, I tell ya, after a long 10 gallons of flatwater riding I walk like 85-90, really sore back and legs and a lot sharp pain on the spine, also always have the felling I shrunk few inches after riding. :splatt:

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
oh man I'm 27, I tell ya, after a long 10 gallons of flatwater riding I walk like 85-90, really sore back and legs and a lot sharp pain on the spine, also always have the felling I shrunk few inches after riding. :splatt:

that because you the backflip king!:bow28:

Top Bottom