Anyone heard of an opposed Piston, opposed cylinder engine? Its a two stroke.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I saw this in a Car & Driver, Lotus is helping develop it. Checkout the video pretty crazy opperation.

I though I read they had a 500cc version making 230hp.

0912_01_z+ecoMotors_OPOC+eM100_testing.jpg

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Seen quite a few 4 strokes but haven't seen a 2 stroke.

*edit, never mind, just watched the video, the "opposed piston" design is crazy!!

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Wow, at 230 hp, that thing would have a great power to weight ratio. Great in a small rear/mid engine car. Problem is, I just can't see it being clean enough for anything but for sale for "off road purposes only". Lotus has had "track only" vehicles before, but they shared a common platform with a street car. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
That horizontally opposed, twin bore four piston engine is an evolution of the shared bored opposed crank concept developed by the Nazis and swiped by the Russians for tank applications. It's a very light power plant which the rods are made from all titanium and it red lines at only 3800 rpm which makes it a good choice for military applications.

My R100/7 cafe fixer upper has the opposed cylinder boxer engine. It's a neat engine. A 980cc only puts out like 70 some HP, but they will last 100k miles with just normal maintenance. I got a long way to go fixing up that bike.

Here's a video of the most awesome R100S I have ever seen. I took this a few years ago at a rally.

Last edited by a moderator:

redrrocket

Graphics Guru
really cool idea.. but look at the lenght of the outside connecting rods.. thermal expansion?? vs the inside rods? and how does the piston get oiled?

Im all about a boxer motor. i have 3 subaru imprezas.

thats pretty neat. ive worked on opposed piston engines but they had 2 crankshafts, with both pistons in the same cylinder. they were 10 cyl, and had 20 pistons eash. 4 engines total...made for a lot of measuring! they were made by fairbanks morse and were about 2200 hp each i believe.

i like the whole self balance thing with that engine. looks way cool to me. imagine a mini gas version in a ski! its good to see people still developing new 2 smokes

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
For everyone talking about opposed cylinder engines, this is the step past that, it has 2 pistons per cylinder. Watch the video.

Its just a new take on a "dense pack" engine. There were similar diesels developed for ships and airplanes 60 years ago.

Thats a cool idea with the pistons comming together to basically make the head, it seems like the external rods would be easier to desing for in tension .

cmeripper26

Ripper26
I work on tugs for a living and a lot of older tugs, there main engines are OP diesels. They are pretty neat but hard to find parts for now. That would be a badazz concept for a ski though!

Top Bottom