SX/SXi/SXi Pro Anyone shortened a stock sx pole?

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I am doing a bunch of mods to the 750sx this winter, Tom21 footholds, front hold/ext holder, turf, Crabbies, and full paint, and I would like a shorter pole to go along with it all, but do not have the funding to buy one right now. Has anyone shortened a stock one? Do I just cut it and section it back together with epoxy? I plan on wrapping it with Carbon when I am done too for strength and looks.. Any help is much appreciated.... Thanks! :splatt:

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
the kawi pole wouldnt be very easy to shorten. It is all one peice so if you cut it anywhere it is gonna be very week right there. Your best bang for the buck is do a RN superjet pole. Talk to Sxi4ver he did that on his.

I have shortend my sx pole. It was simple. I cut out 4 inches in the middle of the pole. Find a section that has similar contour at the 2 places you will cut. This will help to keep reshaping to a minimum. Use the 4 inch peice as a wedge. I then cut that 4 inch peice in 2. Made it a bit smaller so that I could attach one of the 4 inch peices to opposite side of the poles and bolted it on using recess bolts (ss).

So now you have the 2 peices of the pole 4 inches shorter that need to be put together.The 2 - 4 inch peices are attached to opposite sides of the 2 large pole peices (as stated above with ss bolts). The 2 peices should fit snug together. The contours of the pole do not match up exactly. a power sander helps to get them cosmeticcaly sound. use epoxy on the wedge/inserts before pushing the 2 peices back together. allow it to harden and sand smooth. I used ss recess/counter sunk screws to add strentgh to the opposite sides that obviously can not be bolted.

I then wrapped with F glass and sanded smooth. I also have the beef it kit to add strength to the top and bottom of the pole. 2 spots that will crack on any oem kawi pole 750/800. It is extremely strong.

from experience dont waste your time get a ac worth the money way stronger looks sweet ull break the ski before the pole check out ebay i bought mine like 5 years ago from paul lehr new for like 550+ shipping

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Ya I found a brand new AC SJ pole for $399 shipped on Ebay.. It doesn't say if it is shortened though or not. Pretty good price I think..

If anyone has a stock RN pole PM me.. I maybe interested if the price is right!

D-Roc

I forgot!
I have shortend my sx pole. It was simple. I cut out 4 inches in the middle of the pole. Find a section that has similar contour at the 2 places you will cut. This will help to keep reshaping to a minimum. Use the 4 inch peice as a wedge. I then cut that 4 inch peice in 2. Made it a bit smaller so that I could attach one of the 4 inch peices to opposite side of the poles and bolted it on using recess bolts (ss).

So now you have the 2 peices of the pole 4 inches shorter that need to be put together.The 2 - 4 inch peices are attached to opposite sides of the 2 large pole peices (as stated above with ss bolts). The 2 peices should fit snug together. The contours of the pole do not match up exactly. a power sander helps to get them cosmeticcaly sound. use epoxy on the wedge/inserts before pushing the 2 peices back together. allow it to harden and sand smooth. I used ss recess/counter sunk screws to add strentgh to the opposite sides that obviously can not be bolted.

I then wrapped with F glass and sanded smooth. I also have the beef it kit to add strength to the top and bottom of the pole. 2 spots that will crack on any oem kawi pole 750/800. It is extremely strong.

i did the same thing. it was the cheapest way to put a short pole on my sxi. i jumped on the center of my pole to see if it would crack and it did not. it was ugly but strong

D-Roc

I forgot!
you may need to move the cableholder to the other side if using the yamaha pole on the kawi. i think they have opposite turnplates. The yamaha pole is a better pole and looks killer on the sx. good job.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Ya the steering cable is on the other side I guess. If I can swap the turnplate I will, I have a PJS plate.. Or I will just modify the pole and bracket as needed.. Seeing it and comparing will help my thought process... Thanks D!

Top Bottom