Anyone with an "Appliance Epoxy" paint job ?

Boris

The Good Old Days
Just painted my hull sides with this stuff in black,
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=33&SBL=1
it came out OK for the limited prep I did and the fact that it is from a rattle can.

Now, I was thinking of doing the top deck in the same stuff.
Problem is that I tried to wet sand a test piece painted with the epoxy and it lost all the gloss and went flat.

Anyone ever try to wet sand and buff this stuff ?

I don't mind the blemishes on the hull as it will get beaten up anyway but might have to try something else for the top deck.

Danny Kay

SJ + M3 = awesomeness :)
I just saw a thread about a month ago i think. Someone used the same stuff, white and silver was his color scheme i think. Cant remember his name.

Problem is that I tried to wet sand a test piece painted with the epoxy and it lost all the gloss and went flat.

If you sand anything it will go flat... I am sure that you know that you have to buff it to get the gloss back.. you didn't say that but I am sure that you know it.

I have painted a boat with regular rattle can paint and then blocked it smooth and buffed it. It came out looking like it was wet it was so smooth. It held up pretty good but I didn't have it too long.

Boris

The Good Old Days
Yes, I did buff the test piece. Only with soft paste and by hand but the shine wasn't coming out at all. Might have to give it another try tomorrow with the buffer.

The black flowed extremely well for a hot & humid day and it seams like this stuff can take some abuse. I hit the test piece with a hammer a few times and not a chip in sight.

Thanks for the link Danny, I guess I should reaquaint my self with the search button again.

KaosFreestyle

White on White
My handpole and gas cover are painted that way. Im redoing the gas cover and it looks a lot better with good prep work.
102_2071.jpg

I painted mine both white and black and it has held up pretty well for a 40 dollar paint job. To answer your question about wet sanding I did I and then used PJ1 epoxy clear coat. If you use the PJ1 clear coat on white it kind of turns it a cream color but the clear coat holds up to gas and doesn’t scratch to easy. Also the clear coat can be wet sanded.

Here are a couple pics of the ski after it has been ridden for over a year. The first couple are with the old hood and the last are with my new hood. The nice thing about the appliance epoxy as long as you stay with the same brand it match well even after a year. You can see in the last pic that the paint hasn't really fadded and a new can used on the hood match well with the bottom of the ski.

Hope that answers your question. Oh yeah you should be able to get the PJ1 clear epoxy spray paint at your local motor cylce shop.

Crash

Attachments

• Longbeach pics 11.26.06 008.jpg
    Longbeach pics 11.26.06 008.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Longbeach pics 11.26.06 029.jpg
    Longbeach pics 11.26.06 029.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Nose reflection.jpg
    Nose reflection.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 189
  • tubbies and new hood.jpg
    tubbies and new hood.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 183
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 154

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Mine has in SOME spots, normally where it wasnt prepped well, and where I sprayed too thick or it was too humid when spraying.

in other spots, it is just as scratch resistant as any other paint.

I tried some slight buffing of mine yesterday, in a spot where I had wiped some acetone along the black ( it made it dull/hazy)

it waxed back to a decent shine, not wet looking, but I rubbed it by hand for 1 minute with a paper towel.
I think some fine cutting glaze would shine it.

The applicance epoxy scratches easily

Boris

The Good Old Days
Thanks Crash.

I'm going to see if the local places have that clear.

This paint job is just an experiment and if the hull ends up looking like a$$ I'll rip it all off and get a proper paint job.

Still, it's just a square. I wouldn't want to spend a grand in paint when I could put that in the motor.

Boris

The Good Old Days
fwiw, i think i spent about $130ish in paint for my green boat.. two colors..

that includes all the primers, reducers, ..etc...

Add one compressor, hoses, gun,....

I just don't have all the right gear for that right now.

Trust me, when the time comes to do my RN hull (have to get one first) rattle cans will not even be stored close to it. :biggthumpup:

KaosFreestyle

White on White
$140 in all the paint products
$50 for a spray gun from Harbor Freight

Already had a compresser and used to have a simliar cheap spray gun but I forgot to clean it out after I painted a car.

Im actually leaving my appliance epoxy hand pole and gas cover alone and only paiting the rest of the upper half.

Arnolds motor supply will put better paints in cans for those who dont have guns or a compressor. U can also buy a "spray gun end" for it which can provide more consistency.

Top Bottom