Are Hurricane hulls trash?

HarryConnolly

Site Supporter
From my limited time and research being a lurker in this community, I read forum posts about poor craftsmanship and business practices surrounding Hurricane hulls. I believe they’re now closed for business?

I almost bought a BOB but reluctantly had to tell the seller I’m reneging on the deal due to information I gathered from this very forum a few weeks ago.

I’ve noticed most AM hulls from 2014 up sell very well into the lower 5 figure range.

It makes me think. I see superfreaks for sale at the same price and I read such great things about Tem and the boats he use to make. Why would I pay the same price for a Hurricane hull boat given the things I’ve read about them online?

I’m asking because I have no problem haggling a kid with a Hurricane boat on price citing the things I’ve read about them online.

It’s odd because even people who sell superfreaks always cite hull quality in their posts because from what I can tell, the older the boat the more important that is. Never see the same detail on hurricane hulls for sale and it seems that they had a bad history with quality control.

Should I stay away from Hurricane hulls?

Last edited:

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Correct, they are not put together very well, but either are most a/m skis. I do really like how the bob gen 2/3 and hurricanes ride though. If you buy it, know that you will most likely have to do some fiber glassing at some point. Also test ride it first. They are going to ride completely different from something like a Rickter or Superjet.

Can confirm on older a/m hulls needing glass work.. I bought a 2012 superfreak badass that was actually a glass hull not a carbon which is a big reason I bought it in the first place. I bought it knowing it was a project which I wanted. I had a rockered shortened superjet to ride at the time until I could complete the project. I sanded the gelcoat completely off down to the bare glass. Completely reinforced the engine compartment and used fairing filler on the outside. I did lots of research on the common issues of the superfreaks so I could tackle anything necessary while it was being restored. I never even rode it before buying it. And I'm glad I bought it because it is the absolute best riding ski I've ever ridden.. I've ridden just about every a/m comparable in size hull and not one compares to that one in my personal opinion.. personally I prefer to buy a bare hull and build it how I want it then I know it's going to be strong and hold up and be reliable.. that's what I recommend doing unless you have the money to buy a new hull. I do not haha. So that was my way to make it happen. I also enjoy building as much as riding.

The sv1 is another good hull and very comparable in size to the badass -4.3

Also really like the t1 if you can find one. The v3 tigercraft is also close in size but rides a bit different. With some time and tuning for my size either of those hulls are excellent all around boat chasing/surf skis.

I've ridden a foot rocket that I felt the pole was too long on so that ride didn't last very long haha and I've ridden a reaper. It was fun but not really my thing. Haven't tried a predator. It looks like a great surf ski but a little heavy for a lake ski without big engine power. Svpro same thing, amazing big surf ski. Same friend with the sv1 also has the svpro. He has a big bore in it. I think for all around it would benefit most from a 900+cc power valve engine as a lake/surf ski. Edge is comparable ad well although I've never gotten to try an edge. I know a guy with a 17 or 18 edge with a dasa 950. Great all around setup too.

It's honestly difficult to assess the different hulls because the same hull with a different engine, pump, pole length etc all make a difference in how the ski rides and handles.

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
I have riden a hurricane a few times. They ride pretty well. I owned a Superfreak, while it hooks up well, I found it obnoxious in chop and very hard to go trick to trick as it has ZERO center Keel on front third of bottom.
As for quality, i cannot say on the Hurricane, the one i rode quote a few times was about 4 years old at the time and seemed to be holding up, tray had some flex but wasnt broke..
The BOB hulls were of much less quality from what i could visually tell. I tried a first Gen BOB and thought it was a Joke so they came a long way with the Hurricane.
I like KDX's and DVX's for flat water and of course the best hull ever a T1 for a good mix of surf and flatwater.
there are many hulls I have yet to try though.

Top Bottom