Are weight modifications worth it for flat water?

D-Roc

I forgot!
thats a bilge pump, it died after daytona so it has been removed all summer and i never put one back in, thanks for pointing that out. i was wondering who would be the one to do that.

Last edited:

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
I saw that too :) Anyways I am exactly the weight you are and riding an oem hull without any foam at all, with lighter hood and nose. The ski is carbon reinforced and it is much lighert than other sj we have here. The engine platfporm is 701 with bpipe. A lot of tubes and plastic parts were removed too. I will also go with a 10 liter cart tank!

D-Roc

I forgot!
i put in a xmetal waterbox a couple weeks ago so i was able to delete a few strap holders to lighten things up. ;) i also redid the exhaust to 2 1/2 " O/D so that let out a bunch more power too. I will be weighing the ski to see if it has gained weight or stayed the same over the past two ride seasons. it does bring on water after a good ride session and i will be fixing that up before daytona comes around. i pretty much end the season hear and prep for daytona, if it survives daytona it will last the next flatwater season here back home. lol.

d-roc... how much was the xmetal waterbox, and how does it compare to the stock waterbox? Worth the $$ spent?

Last edited:

D-Roc

I forgot!
i bought it used off a buddy, i was running a ffp box before but was restricting my exhaust with the 1 1/2". i cut the T off right away to make it fit better and allow me to change the angle that the box sits in the hull. i was getting a big kink in the silicone hose that comes off the pipe to the box. it is lighter, holds less water, and make a great deal of noise, if makes more power? i don't know, but this new setup in combo with the 2 1/2" after the box is working very well with my setup.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I don't think an XMW waterbox is worth it unless you ride in the ocean and/or don't mind pissing everyone else off with the noise.
I ran one for two or three years, and finally got rid of it.

keefer

T1
Not to say anything bad about XMW, they have plenty of great product, but the waterbox is very loud and I doubt it does much more than give you the option of front exhaust and making lots of noise. A friend in our riding group had one and it was obnoxious. He finally ditched it after it broke a baffle and caused him a lot of grief. Lighten up all you can and you will be pleased with the results. Light boats are much more nimble if set up properly. Look at what the guys are doing with the 65lb Trinity hull with the XScream engines, Flat water backys look easy with P daddy in command.

D-Roc

I forgot!
my exhaust note hurts my ear when i crack it. like it actually hurts, and i am a deaf construction worker. at least my skis bite is as good as its bark, i know a few skis that have these boxes in them and they are all noise and no go. :(

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
I am in the process of building a lighter flatwater boat myself. I have watched pro riders like malone and pancaker roll my heavy ski, but they do not get any where near the height they get on their own (much lighter) equipment. I rode an EME this weekend and it felt VERY nose light and willing to launch out of the water. I come from racing cars and you have to save a pound (or an ounce) EVERYWHERE you can. In the end, your boat will be very light. One or two pricey light components wont do it..........kinda all or nothing. It all adds up and will make a difference. I will have pics and info up soon on my build. I am hoping to come in around 265-275. My ski now is 332 no gas.

Here is some reading on some threads I started about the same thing:

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/59582

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/59773

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/59341

D-Roc

I forgot!
phillip sir, you have the right idea for getting a lighter than stock setup, while still using a oem hull. that was my goal. if your going for pure flatwater or like me 87.96% flatwater go ahead and shorten that hull, that will give you the pump riding handling that keeps the nose up to pop off waves.

Top Bottom