Automatic Bilge Pumps Yes? No?

Im running an auto bilge that seems to come on every minute or so and when there is water present it runs till there is none. I dont trust it though because after riding in the surf I realized a lot can happen in a minute. I would guess you could run a relay to keep switchs from burning up, but that would be alot of wiring and hardly waterproof.
Yep, that's how the auto models work, at least the Rule pumps. They turn on every 2-1/2 minutes & will only continue running if it senses resistance on the impeller, otherwise it shuts back off. There's no float switch in them. The only other difference is the auto pumps have a stainless screen in the basket, which is kinda nice to help keep trash out of the impeller.

I'd think most people would prefer an always-on pump for surf riding. Like the above poster pointed out, a lot can happen in a couple minutes. Even if they burn out faster, you can pick 'em up for $20 a pop on Amazon. You'll spend more than double that for an automatic Rule pump, so it really isn't gonna save you much, if anything, over time.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Yep, that's how the auto models work, at least the Rule pumps. They turn on every 2-1/2 minutes & will only continue running if it senses resistance on the impeller, otherwise it shuts back off. There's no float switch in them. The only other difference is the auto pumps have a stainless screen in the basket, which is kinda nice to help keep trash out of the impeller.

Not the RULEMATES. They have a float switch....always on when needed, always off when not, no killed batteries. Also have a stainless screen.... and no switch to burn up or die....

http://www.amazon.com/Rule-RM750A-R...&qid=1341006259&sr=8-1&keywords=rule+mate+750

I am also cool with people twisting the wires together...but switches are ALWAYS a bad idea. Everybody I know has had one fail...everybody.

Last edited:

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
As I stated before.... the Water Witch has no moving parts... (unlike a float switch).

They have been proven time and time again.

I have one of these from the mid 90's new in the bag. It came in a box of parts when I bought my first water scooters. I always look at it and say i'm going to try it but never do. So they work well?

I have had my auto 1100GPH with jetworks 1 1/8" wizzer for a few hard seasons now and it works perfect. No going back. 5200 it down and 5200 the release tabs and forget it!

It is wired in to my JSS ebox directly and it has been tough as nails so far.

ski4

gonzo
ive used them all, i like my rule mate, just not enough room to mount it good and low in a superjet in a good spot,
i like my little switch run pump that is hooked to a jss switch.
has worked well for years when i remember to turn it on lol

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
HAHA! ...you've sunk that ski more than anyone I know.....Your switch'll last forever though, you never ride the salt.

Did some research on the "waterwitches". Great idea, but why do they have an 8 second delay before they kick on? That's wayyyyy to long.

ski4

gonzo
HAHA! ...you've sunk that ski more than anyone I know.....Your switch'll last forever though, you never ride the salt.

Did some research on the "waterwitches". Great idea, but why do they have an 8 second delay before they kick on? That's wayyyyy to long.

that's the crappy part, every time i have sunk has revolved around vogie and i just floating around in the lake talking, and then killing the battery trying to get water out of the cylinder lol
god that's annoying. i think the cure it to talk on the beach matt.

Top Bottom