Awesome new watercraft!!!

I think the specs on it are actually pretty impressive when compared to a Cessna 172 which is the grunt of general aviation. I fly a Cessna 172R which is kind of the base model, fixed gear, fuel injected, 4 seat, standard old school instruments not the sweet new LCD screens. Heres its specs,
Stall speed with flaps 33 knots
Rotate speed 55 knots
Landing speed and best glide rate 65 knots
max cruise 129 knots
13500 ft ceiling
takeoff distance 1700ft
landing distance 1300ft
700 nautical mile range
max take off weight 2450
max payload 512 pounds
Lycoming 160 hp engine
a new Cessna 172 goes for $265k

Then the Icon:
Seats: 2
- Maximum Takeoff Weight: 1430 lbs
- Useful Load: 430 - 530 lbs (option dependent)
- Baggage: 60 lbs (maximum)
- Fuel (Auto Gas or Av Gas): 20 gal
- Maximum Speed (Vh): 105 kts (120 mph)
- Range: 300 nm
- Takeoff & Landing Distance: 750 ft
- Engine (Rotax 912 ULS): 100 hp

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the landing speed is 45 knots which means stall speed with flaps must be crazy low. That translates into super easy and safe to fly. Not to mention all the sweet stuff that comes standard with this thing, folding wings, amphibious with retractable gear, mp3 player input, regular pump gas instead of 100 low lead AV gas which is about 450 right now where I'm from. Out of my price range for now, but I think its a sick little plane with awesome features at a killer price. Most of the sport planes go for about the same price as the A5 but don't have half of its features.

Oh and if the engine failed on either plane its not really a big deal, they both have a huge glide distance unless you were close to the ground. Well it depends on where your flying i guess, all flat cornfields here but mountain flying would be a different story. I'd assume the parachute is more for getting out of a flat spin which is nearly impossible without one but it would also be useful for an engine failure in the mountains.

Last edited:
If you lived on a lake you could just skip the whole trailer and build a hanger/boat house for it. My neigbor at the lake has a 170 amphib that he keeps in his hanger on the lake...just winch it up in there like a big couch on a lift. I wish I was that lucky I can barly afford to rent the flying club Cessna 150 for more than a few hours a month. Hopefully it makes production its such a neat one of a kind aircraft.

I am not 100% sure couldn't find how high it will fly but I would say this is a modification of a "wing in ground effect vehicle" they can only fly a small distance from the waters surface as they rely on the extra lift generated when a wing is close to the ground ( 1 wingspan give or take ) the technology was developed during the cold war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle

Matty

Last edited:
I missed that video in there website:sad6: it certianly looks like it flys like a real plane, just when I saw the design and that it could go on water and there was no obvious info on there site as to how high it could fly I assumed it may have been and WIG vehicle. Certianly looks cool.

Matty

Top Bottom