Backfiring through carb JS550

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
crazy enough to be a legal requirement in this state ( Velocity's state)

Ive recently learned many states dont require it, that seems crazy to me.

Travis,

your issue sure sounds like crank seal now that you added the part about it running away ( lean leak)

Insurance what is that crazy thing you speak of?:dunno:

Mark44

So we got pissed off and ripped the motor and carb out of my other ski that had a bad e-box and no starter and just put it in his hull. Think we will be able to get this one running right, it has a flat spot in the power band that we need to figure out and the compression isn't as good but it will work while we check the seals and stuff on the other motor.

Last edited:
Backfiring

Split the cases and install new crank seals, that's why you had oil in the front cover.. Then replace the stator, as the "Pulser coil" is probably bad, causing the backfire.. JSS can test / repair the stator for you.. Be careful using cheap replacent stator coils, as they often don't work correctly.. Try a stator off another ski. Different year ski's had different timing.. If the flywheel has a "21" on it you have 21 degrees initial timing. If you have an early 550 it will show 28 (28 degrees) and this is the best initial timing set-up. All the 440's had NO Marking and they will have 24 degrees timing.

Rj

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
crazy enough to be a legal requirement in this state ( Velocity's state)

Ive recently learned many states dont require it, that seems crazy to me.

Travis,

your issue sure sounds like crank seal now that you added the part about it running away ( lean leak)

An interesting argument was made about insurance over on PWCT,two riders got hurt this weekend in the TCJP group.Apparently there is some coverage for medical expenses with 100% coverage and no deductible.That may make it worth looking into.

WFO Speedracer

My reed motor did the same thing last year,most of the crank seal lip was missing,it backfired through the carb ,had a lean spot on takeoff but still ran.

WFO Speedracer

Yes stock crankshaft seals are the best,as for gaskets I would say it would not matter.really all you need here are the three seals and maybe an exhaust gasket.

I have a new sbt motor that is backfire threw the carb also. It does it less when warm I really don't think it's timing because the frequency changes if I adjust the screws. It is all stock except for an aftermarket blowsion air filter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom