Backflip Form 101

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
Yesterday in Mexico I was discussing backflip form with Jerry (Jetskier79) and realized a new way to break it down.

Many people think that tucking your body increases your rotation. This is true with the barrel Roll. But for the backflip a better way to think of it is the rotation of the flip is like a rotating bicycle wheel. I use Roc as an example because he overexagerates the motions. The more of your body you can get towards the center point of the rotation, or the axel of the bike wheel, the faster you will spin. If you were to strap a 5 lb weight to the tire, the bike wheel would spin more slowely.
By bending your elbows and pulling your body in towards the center of the ski, your rotation will increase. This also allows you to spot your landing sooner, because in a tucked position you cannot see nearly as far behind you when looking up (try it). When you do spot your landing you can then straighten your arms and push the bars out, this puts more of your mass towards the outside of the wheel and slows your rotation.

I hope this makes sense and helps some people make it that extra few degrees. Initiating the backflip is still where most of the rotation comes from, when on flatwater

Attachments

• Backflip form final.jpg
    Backflip form final.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 932

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Makes sense-if u ever watch the fmx guys doin it on mx bikes-same principal-keep the weight mass nuetral on the bike-ie-centered up over pegs as much as possible since the foot pegs are the central point on a bike-sooo-on a ski-keeps yer azz as close to the dash as possible till u spot yer landing-then stretch out and back to slow rotating mass.

This sheit sure sounds easier than it is-I think I have now logged about a zillion attempts in the last month and aint gettin close-I committ like a mofo goin into it-get perfectlay flat upside down-and then SHAZAM-my nuts end up back in wifes purse!!!Dammitt!!! I can't for the life of me figure out the mentality-the sheits already upside down-wut the hell??? I've landed flat upside down toooo many times and know it don't hurt-just takin tooo much time get the sack to swell I guess.

Y

yamaslut

you're preaching to the choir brotha...... :cheer:

ronnymac.com_riotride06_012.jpg

P

PancakePete

yamaslut said:
you're preaching to the choir brotha...... :cheer:

ronnymac.com_riotride06_012.jpg

Dude... Slutty.. You make that Shiot look GOOD ! BRAP ! :hail:

Y

yamaslut

D Slicker said:
I wonder who's ski could it be :scratchchin: :question:

wow... looks like my neck is broken :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
All yall beyotches make the sheit look soooo easy-makes me sick-I'll be ok as long as I'm in the line up at Lanier Ride 07 and don't look like a total azz in the process-my goal is to join the rank of all yall bastads!!!!!!! U guys r the sheit!!!

P

PancakePete

gilwilliams800sxr said:
All yall beyotches make the sheit look soooo easy-makes me sick-I'll be ok as long as I'm in the line up at Lanier Ride 07 and don't look like a total azz in the process-my goal is to join the rank of all yall bastads!!!!!!! U guys r the sheit!!!

Practice and ask anyone here for some advise... the double up wakes are a little tricky at first but you will get it... dont go into it to fast. you will get to much distance and not enough height... If you let the wake hit you some and then clamp it... it will shoot you up more than out ! You will get it.. I saw your stabs improve over a couple hours of watching peeps at Lanier... ! :Banane01: :arms: :biggthumpup:

BlowStuffUp

Twinkle Toes
all of the examples here (nick, pete, roc) all ride with both feet in the back. im currently changing to surf stance. can you still get all over the bars like that in surf stance?

joe kenney has the most extreme surf stance out there and when he does backflips he way over the back of the ski.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
BlowStuffUp said:
all of the examples here (nick, pete, roc) all ride with both feet in the back. im currently changing to surf stance. can you still get all over the bars like that in surf stance?

joe kenney has the most extreme surf stance out there and when he does backflips he way over the back of the ski.

Yo, Pdizzle, It looks like that, but since joe's front foot is so far forward, that puts his weight further forward then it looks. That and the fact that Joe doesn't do small backflips, so he never has to worry about rotating fast.
You'll be fine. TC and Jerry Brandon both use a single rear strap, so their front foot can be adjusted accordingly

Top Bottom