Bad idea??

Can i wet sand acrylic enamel?? Im painting my ski with rattle cans and i beleive its acrylic enamel but im worried as to how it will turn out. Could i just spray it on kinda thick and then hit it with some 2000 grit for a while and polish or buff it? Im ussing krylon white gloss paint if that matters. I jsut want it to look ok, and if that means spending a while sanding and polishing that works for me. Also a how to would be nice, any time i google acrilic enamel i get like 1000 results for nail polish.

i'm putting a nice clean fresh coat of bottom paint on my 20' craigslist special yacht and wondering the same thing. i was gonna wet sand her when i was done. i've done about 25% of the boat so far. still got a ways tho before i'm ready to sand.

i'm putting a nice clean fresh coat of bottom paint on my 20' craigslist special yacht and wondering the same thing. i was gonna wet sand her when i was done. i've done about 25% of the boat so far. still got a ways tho before i'm ready to sand.

Sadly ive got a ways to go too and im only painting a 550.

Im thinking as long as it cures really good it would be ok to sand, but im not sure if it will really make a difference. If people could just use cheap spray paint and sand a polish it why wouldnt that be a bit more popular. Perhaps ill spray a test piece and try it before my ski is done, unless someone cares to chime in

paint

I don't think the rattle can stuff will wet sand and buff too well, Usually you will want a catlyst in the paint to make it hard, so you can sand and buff, acrylic enamel without hardener will dry, but will not harden, so I think any type of polishing will actually dull the finish. I'd just leave it as sprayed. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
I don't think the rattle can stuff will wet sand and buff too well, Usually you will want a catlyst in the paint to make it hard, so you can sand and buff, acrylic enamel without hardener will dry, but will not harden, so I think any type of polishing will actually dull the finish. I'd just leave it as sprayed. Just my thoughts

Hmm... what about sanding the primer before painting? would that help keep it kinda smooth? what grit should i use if i sand the primer, i used 180 to prep for priming but i havent primed anything yet.

Top Bottom