bad reed symptoms? again...

i've read almost every thread from searching reeds and still not convinced. my problem occurd whilst riding, the ski suddenly lost all power and wouldnt rev up and started running really rough. almost an idling speed i would say. easily starts again every time. so... i have cleaned out the carbs, replaced plugs to no affect. also when its running (roughly) alot of back pressure (air and fuel) seems to be coming up the carb throats. so i can only assume its reeds. haven't had time to take them out yet. i need to look for chipped edges, bent reeds> missing rreeds??? as far as i no they are stock from a from a 92 modded kawi.
all input would be greatly appreciated. cheers bren

ok so i took out my reeds, all seem to be good, no chips or anything. the petals themselves seem to be made out of plastic, they all seal closed and everyhing looks fine there.
so...? maybe severe air leak? cannot imagine that to affect it so suddenly or so much. perhaps the timing exitor coil thing has rattled loose and its firing far too early or late? could that affect it so much? what are your thoughts?

Waternut

Customizing addict
Stock kawi reeds are a kind of plastic and they're pretty good too. Sounds like you overheated the motor and the e-box was restricting your rpms. If you were trying to give it full throttle and the e-box was restricting you, you'd be dumping tons of fuel into the engine and since it couldn't burn it all it was probably spitting unburnt fuel out the back.

Either way, if it happened all of a sudden, you can pretty much guess that something is clogged or something is broken. Start with fuel lines, fuel filter, and cooling lines. If that produces nothing, take the head up and see if everything is still ok.

ok i replaced the head gasket, to no affect!
still starts first shot, but idles really rough and when givin a little just goes even rougher... it starts to bog down if i keep the trottle open, due to an excess of unburnt fuel.
Is there any electrical problem/s that would cause this? i've gone over most of the mechanical problems... i think? any iddeas would be great guys, thanks in advance.

well there's planty of fuel, carbs aren't blocked. plugs are new. it starts fine, (idles rough) and when i open it up its like it wants to rev up but just isnt sparking fast enough, its like the sparking relay is stuck on idle or something...
( i cannot imagine any mechanical problems that would cause this. only elecrical i guess, just would like some input)

Waternut

Customizing addict
If it wasn't sparking fast enough you'd know you were having misfire issues. If you remove the plugs, can you turn the engine over by hand relatively easy by turning the coupler? You might want to crack open the flywheel cover and see what kind of grime is inside that thing. Could be full of crap and screwing up the stator, pickup, and/or flywheel.

yea she turns over nice and easy.
though i checked both plugs for spark, which they did, i since tried running it on 1 cylender. and on the rear it will start up and run (exactly the same as when both plug leads are in) but on just the front it wont start at all. so im changing the plug leads as i write this...

Top Bottom